Can Primary and Dependents Be Stripped Off COBRA Plan?

dgoldenz

Virginia
If a family is on COBRA and the primary and dependents are all healthy but the spouse is a decline with all carriers, can the healthy individuals be stripped off the COBRA policy to move to individual while leaving only the spouse on COBRA?

Are you sure? I'm not an expert, but I thought the primary had to be covered, or the family loses cobra eligibility.

The other question now is even if you can leave just the spouse, what happens to the cobra subsidy? Does that continue without the primary?

Dan

Are you sure? I'm not an expert, but I thought the primary had to be covered, or the family loses cobra eligibility.

The other question now is even if you can leave just the spouse, what happens to the cobra subsidy? Does that continue without the primary?

Dan

From the handbook that was posted, it looks like each qualified beneficiary can elect coverage independently. How that coordinates with an entire family electing COBRA benefits I'm not quite sure, and was the reason I posted this. Figured someone who has dealt with a situation like this before would have a definite answer.

We had a case, BCBS Mn - left the spouse on COBRA, moved the primary. This was a few years ago. I do not know if the rules have changed, but I would just check with the carrier, they will tell you.

Each COBRA eligible has rights independent of the other. The only issue sometimes is the cost factor.

If the group uses a 2 tier rate, you may not be able to save anything. Much better if there is a 3 or 4 tier rate.

Back