Jan 11, 2009

1. Vitamin C

Vitamin C Expert

State:
    Missouri
    How do they get away with this stuff?

1. buy $50,000 of burial and funeral life for $1

It doesn't have enough disclaimers IMO.

OK mods, I figure people may want to see this so dollarglobeinsurance ... do the search. Of course I have no affiliation.

2. Winter_123

Winter_123 Guru

It is just the basic scam where the first month costs a dollar and after that the real rates kick in.

Probably they could exercise their free look option and get the first month for free and save that dollar if they have nothing better to do in life.

They get away with it because of inertia on the part of regulators. They are out there regulating the mortgage loan industry and the Bernie Madoff's of the world. Wait, I would like to take that back.

3. Crabcake Johnny

Crabcake Johnny Guru

State:
    South Carolina
    Because it works!

It's why stuff it $19.95 instead of $20 - it's why Sears has a 50% off sale but it doesn't include jewelry, home furnishings, audio/visual, furniture, linens, or clothing.

It's why you can buy a $30,000 car for $299 a month - all you need is $15,000 down. Because all that stuff actually works. And it's not that consumers "fall for it." Consumers are too savvy for that. Consumer WANT that kind of advertising.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

If you want jewelry now is the time. My wife lost one of her gold hoop earrings. We went to the mall yesterday to see what we could find (and I learned you can't buy just ONE hoop!). EVERY STORE that sells jewelry... Macy's, Devon's, Samuels, Zales, Bridge etc. had HUGE sales. She settled on a pair of $80 14kt hoops from Samuels... at 75% off... cost $20. (Of course they might have originally cost the retailer $15 to begin with.) She also got a pair of $70 (cultured) pearl studs for 50% off. I don't know the price of jewelry these days as we've been married so long (27 yrs) that I bought all the required "bling" many, many years ago. But she knows the going prices and says we got a good deal. I just wanted to get out of there (at any price) and get to Best Buy to price new LCD TVs! (Anyone know what's better: LCD or Plasma in a 32 inch set?)

As for insurance, I'm seeing a lot of group plans in CA are "on sale" these days by carriers who are offering .90 RAF. Of course the rates are so damn high to begin with that the savings still put most of the plans out of the reach of many companies.

Al
    Preserve your memories

Guest, Jan 11, 2009
  5. Vitamin C

Vitamin C Expert

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not doubting the effectiveness of that sort of advertisement. It just seems like that sort of ad would require some better disclosures to be compliant.

6. captain94

captain94 Guru

State:
    Ohio
    Globe is a Torch Mark Company. as in United American also Liberty National. enough said.

7. 360

360 Guru

I think Yogi Berra would have said something like...no one wants to advertise like that anymore...there are way to many people doing it.

360, Jan 11, 2009
  8. retread

retread Guru

State:
    Kansas
    Jewelry has ALWAYS been a 100% markup!

retread, Jan 19, 2009
  9. jimsthename

jimsthename Expert

If its too good to be true...read the fine print. I'm surprised the regulators don't control offers of this nature

10. GetInsurance

GetInsurance Super Genius

State:
    Michigan
    LCD for brighter rooms, Plasma for darker rooms. Plasme isn't good for extensive video game use due to burn-in, but moderate play won't hurt any of the newer tvs.