Can the Medicare number be different from the social security number?

RunnerDude

Super Genius
I have a 58 year old client who has been on SSI for many years due to a brain injury. He claimed to have both Medicare and Medicaid. He produced his Medicaid card, but did not have his Medicare card. Apparently, his sister used to handle his finances- but now he has a friend that acts as his legal representative. I recently tried to sign him up for a Dual Eligible MAPD plan with UHC. Using his Social Security card number (which I personally saw), I attempted to find out his Part A and B enrollment dates through UHC's agent assistance service. They were unable to find any evidence that he actually had Medicare benefits (using every letter possible). It is my understanding that a person who has received SSI for two years will automatically be enrolled in Medicare (Part A at least). It seems odd that he would not have Medicare. My question is: Is it possible for a person receiving disability (with a legal guardian) to have a Medicare number that is different from his Social Security number? If so, how can I find out the Medicare information to complete his enrollment?

If they are collecting benefits from someone else it could be their Medicare claim number.
Could the first legal representative (his sister) have been collecting the SSI payments on his behalf- using her Medicare number?

My question is: Is it possible for a person receiving disability (with a legal guardian) to have a Medicare number that is different from his Social Security number? If so, how can I find out the Medicare information to complete his enrollment?
Yes. The HICN can be different than his SS number. It can be someone related to him. And there are dozens of alphanumeric combinations that can follow the SSN as the BIC. I recommend having the prospect call CMS.

I thought SSI was different than SSDI. SSDI requires that you have worked 40 quarters, or 10 years...and collecting it for 24 months automatically enrolls you in Medicare. But SSI is Supplemental Security Income; a cash payment monthly for those disabled, blind, etc, who have never worked or don't have enough tax quarters to qualify.

Someone correct me if this is wrong. Thanks

Adding to what others have said, the only other oddball situation would be if he's with the Railroad Board then it's a prefix and not a suffix. Can't wait for the new Medicare numbers! Why don't you all just call CMS up and find out instead of guessing?

I know that having SSI in SC automatically enroll you in a Medicaid - but not Medicare. However- it is possible to have both- not sure what the guidelines are. Like you said- probably more productive to contact CMS.

If you have an SSI prospect who is not on Medicare, they (or their legal representation) would have to call Social Security to check their Medicare eligibility. It has to be 24 consecutive months of disability, which sounds like this is the case.

A person can have SSI, Medicaid, and Medicare.

Yea- I plan to go back to the house and contact Social Security with the client- I think he somehow just thought he had Medicare.

Back