Can this Be True? Resident to Non Resident License

keith365

Super Genius
I know a fellow agent who is moving out of Ohio. He contacted the Ohio dept of ins to see their process in changing his status from resident to nonresident. On the form that they asked him to fill out, it says that he must surrender his Ohio license, which voids all appointments held by the agent. Then, and non-resident license can be applied for.
Can this be right? Why would all appointments be voided? What does this mean for renewals? I'd think that this should just be a matter of changing and address and the fee for being a resident or non-resident. Has anyone else been through this?

I just moved from CA to NV. I had to get a clearance letter from CA (basically a cancellation). NV issued a resident license and in the next day or two CA should have set me up with a non-res dated back to the same day my NV license became effective.

So for about 10 days I won't be able to write in CA, at least technically.

Rick

Sounds like the process everywhere. I went through this with a producer who moved in from another state. The idea is you shouldn't hold 2 resident licenses at once, so the one has to go for the other to be issues.

Talk with your carriers. They should be able to just switch license numbers, but I would let them know its happening before they cancel the appointment.

Keep in mind though, the DOI usually doesn't notify carriers directly anyway. Its unlikely any of them will cancel your appointment while you switch licenses, but, just to be safe, I would let them know in advance and see what they need from you, if anything.

Dan

Back