Can We Get an Acronym List Going?

ladymj

I am familiar with some but there are others I am not: LIS, for example. If everyone would be kind enough to provide a list that would be great and very helpgul to us newbies trying to get into selling medicare sups/MA/FE policies.

Thanks!;)

LIS - Low income subsidy
QMB - qualified medicare beneficiary
SLMB - specified low income medicare bene
QI - qualifying individuals

it's part of the medicaid system. Those bottom 3 can pay for medicare's premium and maybe more. I haven't done extensive trainging in Medicaid but I do know when I meet with a client and they look at Medicare's premium and are upset, I pull out my 2017 eligibility standards chart and see if they might qualify for one of the above.

At that point if they think they do, I go to ssa.gov and apply for extra help and the MSP (medicare savings program). That will determine which of the above they get.

Last edited:
LIS - Low income subsidy
QMB - qualified medicare beneficiary
SLMB - specified low income medicare bene
QI - qualifying individuals

it's part of the medicaid system. Those bottom 3 can pay for medicare's premium and maybe more. I haven't done extensive trainging in Medicaid but I do know when I meet with a client and they look at Medicare's premium and are upset, I pull out my 2017 eligibility standards chart and see if they might qualify for one of the above.

At that point if they think they do, I go to ssa.gov and apply for extra help and the MSP (medicare savings program). That will determine which of the above they get.

How long does it generally take to find out if they are eligible after you apply?

How long does it generally take to find out if they are eligible after you apply?

This is where I'm clueless. LIS seems to be pretty quick, maybe 3-4 weeks. But I have no clue about Medicaid. I had a lady where we signed up for it in June. She was t65 August, so in July we just signed up for a regular MAPD plan. In the following January, she called me to let me know she was now QMB.

So when I meet people now, I just let them know it could be a month or hell, 6 months. I've since increased the income range on my mailers so I don't quite have to do it as much.

CMS got you covered, fam. "CMS list" Anything else, someone just came up with their own abbreviation/acronym.

Thanks! I looked on that site and not seeing "LIS" on the list made me think that also, so that's why I asked for the acronym list.
Thanks again for everyone's input:)

LIS is pretty common, so I would not go by that list as gospel. Sometimes it is better to take advice from people who have been in the biz.

Thanks! I looked on that site and not seeing "LIS" on the list made me think that also, so that's why I asked for the acronym list.
Thanks again for everyone's input:)

And it is on the list. Might not be the first result (had to go to pg 2 after searching for "LIS."), but it's there.

Back