Can you issue auto policy on Sundays ??

newold

writing auto policies on Sundays.... yes or no ?

I've got different answers, some agents say yes some say no,
anyone for sure if you can give quotes and issue auto policies on Sundays ??

Only one I can think of that may have an issue with it.....God:biggrin:

Otherwise, we can write policies everyday except Feb 29th on leap years.

Are you an insurance agent?

Why would Sunday be any different than any other day of the week?

I have written many different types of policies on Sunday. I work on commission. Any day is a good day to make money!

I'm just curious, who told you that you can't?

As I have said so many times before, to get a definitive answer, always do your own research. Contact the insurance company or the DOI if you are in doubt.

Last edited:
Back when I lived in Colorado, they couldn't sell cars on Sunday. This always amazed me. Lots of states used to have 'Blue Laws' where things (except churches and some convenience stores) were shut down on Sundays. This could be a carry over from these types of laws in some particular state.

Just date everything for Monday if you need to. I write policies on Sundays sometimes, though that is usually my day off. Sunday evening is usually a pretty good time to get hold of people.

Dan

The short answer to your question would be absolutely, Sunday is no differen than any other day. The reason you've been getting mixed answers is - you have to realize, most insurance agencies (as well as their corporate headquaters) are only open Mon - Fri (sometimes Sat. as well), so you can't contact a local broker to bind the coverage on Sunday, as he won't be available. So, unless you have a broker who is open 7 days a week, the only real way to get the policy issued would be to get a quote (during the week), confirm your interest, take care of whatever you have to take care of (apps, deposit, etc.) and have the broker either issue the pol. in advance or simply bind the coverage (as most agents have 5 days binding authority). Or you could opt to work directly with a company like Geico that doesn't work with agents but rather does everything via an 800#, as they are always open. Most companies however will refer you to an agent as they don't work directly with the public - there are only a select few that will.

I've had a few insured's that decided on a last minute whim to pick up a new car on Sun. and were forced to take out Geico policies for a few days, as we were not open. Keep in mind though, if you're talking about an auto policy, having split policies is not only looked down upon by companies, but is also not in your best interest due to the fact that you'll loose the mutli car discount and most of the time drivers with history (accidents and violations) will be incorrectly charged for twice .

Most of the time though, you should know at least a day or 2 in advance that you're going to need the coverage on a specific day so planning is your best option.

I've had a few insured's that decided on a last minute whim to pick up a new car on Sun. and were forced to take out Geico policies for a few days, as we were not open. Keep in mind though, if you're talking about an auto policy, having split policies is not only looked down upon by companies, but is also not in your best interest due to the fact that you'll loose the mutli car discount and most of the time drivers with history (accidents and violations) will be incorrectly charged for twice.

thanks you have read my mind - that is exactly what I need to find out, so if an agency is closed on Sundays that is the reason why I cannot write a policy not because the insurance companies are closed, and if I'm to write the auto policy myself without the broker present, as an agent I still have 5 days biding authorities to issue the policy to the insured, is that right ?

Lots of states used to have 'Blue Laws' where things (except churches and some convenience stores) were shut down on Sundays.

I remember in VA in the 60s and early 70s you could go to the store and buy beer... but not toilet paper.

Al

Newold, I'm glad I was able to help. Most of the time BOTH the insurance agencies and companies are closed on Sunday. Think of it in terms of there being 2 types of companies: those that only sell through agents (which are most of them), and those that deal directly with the public. If you're with a company, through an agent, 99% of the time - you are only able to have policy changes completed via your agent. Which means that if he's closed, you're out of luck, as you cannot contact the company directly to process the change and even if you did try, they too would most likely be closed. If you're with a "direct company", they're usually open 24 hours (incl. Sunday), and you can call them to have any changes processed at any time. I'm not sure if you are an agent or not, as that was a bit unclear, but I'll try to answer your next question assuming that you ARE an agent. Assuming so, you should really check with that particular carrier(s) as binding authority (or backdating) can vary from company to company but is normally 5 days. In order to be very clear, please be aware that you only have binding authority with companies that you are licensed with. So, if an insured tells you on Fri. that he wants to add a vehicle onto his policy for that following Sun. - you can obviously process that change in advance, or if you're unable to do so (or if he calls you on a Sunday, on your mobile phone), you can always verbally bind the coverage with the insured (assuming that you're within your company's authority), and issue the policy change at a later point in time. Again though, if you're with a direct company, simply call them on Sunday or whenever you need to make a change and it's that simple.

I hope I've been of help - If I haven't yet answered your question, please be a bit more specific reg. your situation and I'll try me best!

Are you an insurance agent?

Why would Sunday be any different than any other day of the week?

I have written many different types of policies on Sunday. I work on commission. Any day is a good day to make money!

I'm just curious, who told you that you can't?

As I have said so many times before, to get a definitive answer, always do your own research. Contact the insurance company or the DOI if you are in doubt.

Back when I was young and wet behind the ears, I thought I would make a lot of extra moo-lah by being the only motorcycle dealer in town open on Sundays. It was fool-proof! People ride motorcycles on Sunday. People need parts on Sunday. I was aware that I couldn't actually sell bikes on Sunday.

It lasted two months. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles sent us notification that someone who was in buying accessories had asked what their bike would be worth on trade-in. I gave them a rough figure. This person reported me and if I opened the doors on Sunday after this notice we would lose our dealer license.

Seems our competitors didn't want to work Sundays so they set us up.

Never under estimate the power of stupid laws.

Back