Can you rectify your damage with own tradesmen

John Saunders

I was involved in an accident where I'm uninsured and was at fault. The chap who's wall I went into said he had insurance and I had to pay the excess. Do I HAVE to go this route or can I use my own tradesmen to rectify? Do I have a choice? What if his quotes are too high?

No, you don't have a choice. You drove uninsured. You're the bad guy. You don't have any say in anything.

The damaged party has no obligation to allow you to arrange for the repairs and, frankly, would be foolish to do so.

Your only choice is hand over the cash for the total cost of the repairs incurred by the damaged party. If you don't pay, your licensed can be suspended.

Keep in mind that once you pay his deductible and his insurance company pays the rest, his insurance company will come after you for the rest.

By the way, are you perhaps originally from the UK? The words "chap" and "excess" (instead of deductible) would lead me to suggest that.

John Saunders, wait for others to comment on your situation. While Adjusterjack may be right about some of the things he has said, he has a long history of making things up and inventing information on topics he doesn't understand. Wait to hear comments from others.

A few things are correct. He has gone through his own builder despite me offering to rectify.! The insurance company has come to me asking for money. And I also have lived in UK. Only thing is the guy has admitted in a text that he claimed for other things (building works) and put everything under one quote. Am I not entitled to a fair price for just my damage and not his other stuff?

Also if I did have insurance and was a builder, could I rectify his wall

No. He turned in the claim and now the insurance company is handling it. They will ensure the work is properly done and know what rates are typical for the area.

On this one, Jack is quite right. You did the damage and now you get to pay since you did not have insurance. Had you had insurance, then you could have filed a claim with them and they would have worked with him about repairing the damage. In no scenario do you have the right to determine who does the work. Even the insurance companies cannot tell him who to use, they can recommend, but they cannot force him to use anyone in particular. They can set requirements for licensing, insurance, etc., but that is it.

Yes, do wait to hear comments from others.

I have no problem with a constructive and authoritative rebuttal of my opinion which, obviously, the last post isn't.

:no:

Adjusterjack, this isn't a place for opinions. That's why your "advice" is so dangerous. You dream up and guess answers, with the hope that it may be right. The rest of us use our experience and facts. We aren't giving advice on the best kind of mustard to use, or our favorite kind of car wax. These are important issues with real money and real consequences. In the other posts where you dream up information and make things up, then dig your heals in, people like this poster here, don't know the difference. In this case you are right. He got lucky. Generally you just make things up, or use your imagination. I will bring this up every time I come across you in a post to try to protect others. So, if you are sensitive, it's time to either put on your big boy pants, only post on things you understand, or, stop posting.

Last edited:
I will bring this up every time I come across you in a post to try to protect others.

You'll be making a damned fool of yourself every time you do so. I'm sure everybody here can already see that.

It's not worth my time to argue with you or defend my 35 year knowledge of the insurance business. I follow Mark Twain's philosophy: “Never argue with an ***.”

Now, you have my permission to have the last word if your manhood compels you to have it.
:noteworthy:

That little guy is the epitome of sarcasm. LOL.
:yes:

Back