Canceling Policy During Divorce

Husband was under standing orders to make no changes to the policy, etc. (These are general orders issued by the court.) In addition, there was a specific order stating that he cannot change any beneficiaries until further notice. Unfortunately, in spite of being asked, my attorney did not include anything regarding not canceling the policy. SO he did that.

So, even though he's in contempt, because of his health issues, he's unlikely to be able to get another policy like this one. I'm wondering if he can have multiple no-exam policies?? Still, he's likely to pass sooner rather than later, so I'm not even sure if that would work.
No exam doesn't mean no underwriting. You'll still need to disclose the health issues.

Talk to a new attorney about this asap.

Just found out that my spouse canceled his term life insurance even though he was under standing court orders not to do so. Specific court orders were sent stating that a change in beneficiaries could not take place, but the lawyer forgot to include any changes on the account such as cancellation.

Spouse has had serious health issues (multiple heart attacks) and is out of the country.

Changes may have been made by his brother in an effort to avoid Islam's prohibition on life insurance.

When I call, I hear that the policy is paid until its renewal date... but then it says a request for term cancellation was put in.

Is there anything that can be done via court order or anything? What about fraud? There are four minor children.

Do you know the policy number?

If so, I would get a money order (perhaps in your husbands name) and send it in to keep premium alive if you can. This shot in the dark may prolong a bit longer the life of the policy until you can get the court to redress your issue.

^the ones I use require checks/voided checks though it depends on what that specific carrier will accept

I'm confused by this. If the judge required the insurance to be in force, then your husband has to do it or violate the divorce decree.

I write several policies per year on divorcees who are court ordered to purchase a policy. I know that this was an existing policy but it would seem that by law it isn't that different of a situation.

Can't the judge order your husband to pay the premium or face punitive damages?

Maybe I'm missing something.

People violate decrees and court orders all the time. Just like people get into court swear to tell the truth then lie through their teeth.

Plenty of defiant vengeful exes have no problem being in contempt of court especially if they think they won’t get caught or if they do get caught nothing can be done to punish them.

Last edited:
So help me if you can. Judge was pissed, but doesn't think there is much we can do. Insurance agent said he tried to convince him not to, but sent it off to Prudential anyways, who accepted the cancellation. (Although the policy still seems to be valid/in-force on the automatic line.) Judge is willing to sign anything to get it back... even his own lawyer is behind that. What should it say?? Can I be granted retroactive ownership over the policy?? Help me please.

How do you know Prudential accepted the cancellation if it is still showing as active & in force. I would call Prudential to ask if a term policy can be cancelled or must it lapse for non payment. Then, I would ask for a fax or email that your attorney or the judge can send to try to basically put an injunction on the cancellation form from being processed until this can be sorted out. I wouldn't talk a ton about his health problems if you call Prudential as that wouldn't necessarily help them want to hold off on the cancellation

Capture.JPG here is an example of 1 carriers surrender/cancel form. you can see it states a term policy cant be surrendered (at least with that carrier). so, for a client to have their policy cancel, they would make sure they take their premium payment off monthly EFT from a bank account & put it on a manual bill like quarterly, semi annual or annual. then, they would receive the bill & not pay it. they would then get a legally required 30 day grace period letter allowing them to still pay. then the policy would either lapse for non-payment or the carrier may allow another 30 day late payment notice that would say there is no coverage but the policy can be kept if the premium is paid before that additional 30 day late payment period expires.

Back