Cancer patient surprised by Anthem's notice that UCHealth no longer 'in network' on low premium plan

I worked at Anthem in a new department as a "Sales and Retention Agent" in the call center then remotely for most of 2020. I was pulled off the phone after two weeks to help out other agents (think "manager" but we don't have the budget to give you the official title or pay) and the nightmare situations that would frequently come across my way would break your heart.

This is just one that made the news. We had situations where field agents would sign someone up for a plan on the 30th, ignoring the fact that they had just had surgery for cancer and chemo starting on the 2nd of the following month. The calls I monitored were excruciating, and figuring out solutions was a win some/lose some battle.

As Somarco said, the managed care plans were ruthless. Can't say I don't miss the paycheck, but I felt like my job was more to keep the system running rather than truly make a difference in getting people in the right plan (usually it was the plan they had, or with a different company, lol). I pray how they do business is improved for the sake of the beneficiaries.

Back