Cancer Patients Snagged in U.S. Health Law’s Tangled Paperwork

Tkruger

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nationwide
Walt Whitlow was under treatment for cancer when he got an unwelcome surprise.

His financial assistance under President Barack Obama's health care law got slashed. That meant his premium quadrupled and his deductible went from $900 to $4,600.

Hundreds of thousands of people lose subsidies under the health law, or even their policies, when they get tangled in a web of paperwork problems involving income, citizenship and taxes. Some are dealing with serious illnesses like cancer. Advocates fear the problems, if left unresolved, could undermine the nation's historic gains in health insurance.

Source US News

Herrin canceled her policy in disgust, only to be diagnosed with cancer a few months later. She spent about $70,000 in savings on treatment, but was able to sign up for a new policy that started in January.

"I ended up getting mad about it and just canceling, but I'm the one who screwed up," said Herrin. "It did make me mad that they quoted me an amount, and then I filled out my taxes and I owed. I don't think it is fair."

:SLEEP: :D :D :D

Why does somebody that has $70,000 in savings needed tax credit to afford insurance?

Last edited:
Why does somebody that has $70,000 in savings needed tax credit to afford insurance?

Some people are actually financially wise, just low earners. For all we know, that's a lifetime of scrimping and saving gone in a few months.

Or are you just poking fun at the lack of a means test for subsidy under this law? I always found it a bit strange that multi-millionaires that live in mansions and drive European luxury cars qualify for the same subsidy as someone struggling to keep their child in clean diapers because they choose not to pay themselves...

I think it's hilarious when there's stories like this put out by MSM. The truth is 90% of people who lose their APTC or policy due to citizenship docs IGNORED the multiple letters, emails and calls. I laugh my ass off when they get banged out for $500 on auto draft. Naturally, I've (we all have) seen some screwed up situations caused by hcgov that weren't the clients fault, but those are the minority.

Oh yeah, there should be a means test $70k in the bank and APTC? no no no not right... Also, you should not have to spend $500 to get a bronze plan for a 50 yr old or get zilch. A family of 4 shouldnt HAVE to spend $12k yr for a bronze hdhp either. And there should never ever (say it with me now) be $0 prem plans, WTF! I got a client in Sarasota with a 2 million dollar house getting significant APTC....good God.

The end is near...

Back