Can't Find Policy Information - Jackson National

Piece Of The Pie

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Need your help.
My father passed May 26 at 81 years old. He lived in Indiana most of his life. I recently noticed a $20/month recurring withdraw from his checking account. It says... 'Jackson National Ins Pymt". Based on bank statements I have researched, he has been paying for at least 4 years, but probably many more.
I contacted Jackson National 2 weeks ago to find his policy information. As of now, they can't find any policy information. I understand years ago it was The Midland and Reassure America.
I sent a request 2 weeks ago thru the NAIC Life Insurance Policy Locator. - No response from them.
I sent an email to Midland National life today.
I need advice on next steps.
Thanks,
Brad in Indiana

Bank has been unhelpful over the phone. Will try the local branch next week. (Fifth Third)

That might be because it's your father's account and you're not on it.

If a personal visit to the branch has the same results you will probably have to go to probate court and get appointed as representative of your father's estate if you haven't done that already.

Yes, I am the Executor of his estate and the bank has the document showing that.

Did Jackson National sell policies thru credit card offers or other mailings that my dad might have signed up for? Reason I ask is that it is exactly $20 per month coming out of his checking account.

Anything's possible.

The money has to be received somehow on the other end and the bank's records should show something about that.

A face to face with a branch manager should be your next step.

You can always get the bank to stop the draft. That should trigger mail from the insurance company about the dishonored EFT. If it has already been stopped, then that mail should be going out. Keep an eye on the mail, also has your father moved in the past 20 years?

Considering the company and the size of the premium, my bet is the policy was originally sold in the early 2000s or late 90s.

You can always get the bank to stop the draft. That should trigger mail from the insurance company about the dishonored EFT. If it has already been stopped, then that mail should be going out. Keep an eye on the mail, also has your father moved in the past 20 years?

Considering the company and the size of the premium, my bet is the policy was originally sold in the early 2000s or late 90s.

Great idea... Stopping payment today. No, he hasn't moved in 21 years.

Great idea... Stopping payment today. No, he hasn't moved in 21 years.

That should get you some mail from the insurance company. The reason I asked if he had moved in that time frame is that sometimes people forget to let the company know they have moved. If the account has stayed the same, the drafts would have continued and he never would have given it another thought.

This can be solved by Jackson, no need to stop payment and wait weeks for a letter. It's very unusual that Jackson would be taking money for a policy that's not on its books; it's possible you got an inexperienced customer service rep. who didn't know what they were doing. Try starting over and calling back with all the relevant info incl. the fact that you're the executor of the estate. Offer to fax the relevant documents. If they still can't find info about your father's policy ask to speak to a manager and have your request escalated. If the manager can't locate information about the policy or adequately explain the bank draft threaten to call your state's department of insurance to file a complaint.

If they can't resolve your request in 2-4 weeks I'd go ahead and file the complaint with the state department insurance. One major purpose of life insurance is that there's not supposed to be a lot of waiting around.

Back