Can't Shake this Feeling...

TweetyBird86

Hello,
I have been an agent for about 4 years now. Been with the agency for 5 years now. I can't Shake the feeling I'm being used by the agency owner. It's irritating my soul I sometimes wanna cry. As a CSR of the agency I get paid 15hr. When I submit policies I get $20 per Auto policy, $40 per Homeowners and for Auto and Home combos I get $50. In another system that we use for quoting broker business I only get 10% per policy submitted. Please keep in mind I am the only one in the agency that uses this system. Should I get over myself or is this something I should definitely get myself out off cause to me it don't seem right. I feel quite pimped out.

Honestly sounds like a pretty good gig to me. As an agency owner there is a lot of expense that isn't seen by the CSR's. That being said I'm not sure what your duties as a CSR consist of at your agency. My CSRs take care of the day to day servicing, take calls, gatekeep for the principals and passes the new business to one of the agents. If the agents are busy or out they must quote and write the policy. They don't get commission for this but its rare that there isn't an available Agent.

If you don't feel that you are being treated fair for what you do ask the owner to put you on as producer. You will lose your hourly wages or have them docked significantly but possibly get a better cut. But by the sounds of your cut you are already getting there isn't much left over for the agent unless you are writing nice large packages.

Hello,
I can't Shake the feeling I'm being used by the agency owner. t.

You are being used. You're being paid an above average wage, but the owner is using you to make money. Average income for an individual in this country is $27k/year and if you're working fulltime at $15/hour+commissions you're doing well above that.

Odds are you've done quite well for yourself and if you try to venture out on your own you'll be adding a lot of stress on your plate with a very low chance of doing much better. If that irritates you then you should go strike out on your own and make it happen. If you can feel good about getting paid above average for your field and have steady work, then just shake it off and never worry about it again. If you've been doing this for almost 5 years that is a long time to be doing anything, you might need a vacation :D

The policies I write bring in commission of $300+. I get only one week of vacation and when I request for time off months in advance there is always some sort of controlling comment before it's approved. I give 110% in the job that I do which is pretty much everything except commercial quotes. If you tell someone they are an asset to the agency they should feel it and see it. I guess that's just me tho.

The policies I write bring in commission of $300+.

As wonderful as that is, you have zero risk. You get guaranteed pay, a bonus structure, vacation time, and have zero expenses. You don't pay for e&o, you don't pay for advertising, you don't pay for office space, you don't pay for computers, you don't pay for salaries for employees, you get the idea? If you want all that responsibility then go do your own thing.

I give 110% in the job that I do

Which is probably why you've been able to stay there for years and earn an above average wage. There are a lot of folks doing CSR work for less than $15/hour with no vacation time and with no commissions. For what you're doing, you're being paid well.

f you tell someone they are an asset to the agency they should feel it and see it. I guess that's just me tho.

It's up to you how you feel. You're ignoring that you're well paid for the work you're doing and you're being overly concerned with what the agency is making. The reason why the agency can pay you is because they're making money. You came here asking for feedback and it's this simple: Either decide you want to go out on your own OR realize you are being well paid for the work you're doing and stop letting it bother you.

If the agency is paying you above average wages and you feel like you're being taken advantage of, then get the hell out and never look back.

Before anybody tells her she's making too much money, shouldn't we find out where she lives? Cost of living is different between the states and regions.

I do not know if you are being under-paid or under-appreciated, but there is a simple way for you to determine it for yourself. Shop yourself in the marketplace, either as a CSR or as a producer. My guess is you will find your answer within a few months.

Before anybody tells her she's making too much money, shouldn't we find out where she lives? Cost of living is different between the states and regions.

I hope I didn't say anything as unamerican as that!

Do you think you would make more as a Producer?

...what's the competitive wage in your area for CSR's ?

What about getting your 220 lics?

Back