Can't Tell Your Clients Anything Until October 1st

insurance0707

Guru
1000 Post Club
Michigan
I know we've all been told you cannot even speak about the 2012 plans until October 1st. I've been abiding by it. I just got an email from a client letting me know that he received the info from AARP regarding his prescription drug plan. It let him know the new rates and copays.

I also had another client call and she said my friend told me my MAPD plan was going up $10 a month, is that true?

What the heck, are insurance companies sending out stuff early. I'm just sticking with, we can go over the plans after Oct 1st and then we can look at all of the available options

I had a client call me two weeks ago and tell me an agent stopped by her house (no appointment - just door knocking) and asked her which Medicare plan she has. When she told him, he let her know that Blue Cross would no longer be offering a plan in her county. He also told her that only two carriers would be offering plans. And I bet you would never guess that he represents one of those carriers.

Of course she immediately called me to question his information. I explained the rules (especially those concerning door to door solicitation) and let her know that I would be in touch with her October 1st to let her know which plans are available. I don't think she will be having any further conversation with the agent who broke multiple rules.

I know, it's like helloooo did you not take AHIP or all of the tests by the carriers. You might want to call the agent and say that he's breaking the rules and you'll report him if he keeps it up.....I hate reporting on other agents and have never done it, but something like that, especially when you're trying to follow the rules suck

Last edited:
It's amazing the personalities you see in the sales industry. I know a guy with our company that constantly crosses the boundaries of everything...stealing business from other agents in the office, referring clients to a friend for claim repairs, social marketing online, etc. All of these are against our company's policies and guidelines. It's like he thinks they don't apply to him?? He has been so rude to clients it will be amazing to see how long he is with that company.

CMS scares the heck out of me. We are totally compliant as an agency. We put a bunch of effort on following the rules. Our agent have taken so many tests and attended so many webinar sessions that they want to kill me. But it looks like CMS is out hunting for mistakes. It sometimes seems that they are not just looking for the people purposely breaking rules, but anybody that has a comma out of place. We have never had a CMS problem and expect that we never will. Be careful out there.

I've gotten calls from 3 different clients that have 3 different insurance companies. Some PDP's Some MAPD, they all received the 2012 info and want to go over it with me.....I feel stupid having to say I can't really go over it with you until next week. Why are the insurance companies sending them out a week early?

easy fix...just say:

I'm so sorry, but my schedule is booked until Next week... how about Monday or Tuesday?!

Saves you from having to disclose the rules to your client.. and put you in a bad spot making you look incompetent because the client knows before you do! Just a thought....

I started calling my clients today just to let them know that I should be receiving the 2012 info here soon. I've also been asking them how their plan has been this year and most of them are still very happy.

Everyone that I signed up for Secure horizons MAPD plan has already received their 2012 SOB

Back