Canvassing and the Economy

TheCaspian

Expert
I was out canvassing with an agent who noticed that a lot of office buildings in our area have more and more leasing opportunities, implying that more and more business are going under or relocating to cheaper digs.

Does anyone else happen to notice clues about the local economy and the potential impact on their business while they are out prospecting?

I have noticed that here in Central Florida for at least the past 5 years. we have hundreds of empty office suites and empty houses in my area, maybe one day when I get bored driving around I will take some pictures and post them here. Doesn't really hurt my business too much, probably because I work the senior market though. Seems the only portion of the economy is that really got hit is the working class... Go figure.

I was out canvassing with an agent who noticed that a lot of office buildings in our area have more and more leasing opportunities, implying that more and more business are going under or relocating to cheaper digs.

Does anyone else happen to notice clues about the local economy and the potential impact on their business while they are out prospecting?

I think the economy is a fine excuse for many people.

Of course all I hear is how bad it is too but just try to hire someone. Start with construction. We have done a lot of major improvements to our home over the last 3 years. It's like pulling teeth to get people to show up. Not to make a bid. They will come running for that and tell you how much they want the work then when you give them the job you can't find them.

Then the ones that do show up I have friends and family that also ned work and haven't been able to get anyone either so I refer them and they don't go to the referrals.

Talk to a business owner that's hiring and let them you how hard it is to get someone to work.

There's a local business here that just built a new store. They haven't been able to open it yet even though it's been finished for over a month because they can't hire staffing.

The heavy equipment guy I hired for some took over 2 months to get here then when he was here all he did was bellyache about the economy and how tough it is to get work in his line of business and he was needing money. I told him, "I've trying to get you here for 2 months and you know I will pay you as soon as you do the work". he would just continue to mumble about not being able to get work.

I can't imagine that my area of the country is the only place it's like that.

My office complex is maybe 40% rented. That is average for the Phx office complex area. Rent is at the same rate is was in 1986.....the year I first sold insurance.

Good deal for us tenants.....hang your shingle high!

Of course all I hear is how bad it is too but just try to hire someone. Start with construction. We have done a lot of major improvements to our home over the last 3 years. It's like pulling teeth to get people to show up. Not to make a bid. They will come running for that and tell you how much they want the work then when you give them the job you can't find them.

Then the ones that do show up I have friends and family that also ned work and haven't been able to get anyone either so I refer them and they don't go to the referrals.

Talk to a business owner that's hiring and let them you how hard it is to get someone to work.

There's a local business here that just built a new store. They haven't been able to open it yet even though it's been finished for over a month because they can't hire staffing.

The heavy equipment guy I hired for some took over 2 months to get here then when he was here all he did was bellyache about the economy and how tough it is to get work in his line of business and he was needing money. I told him, "I've trying to get you here for 2 months and you know I will pay you as soon as you do the work". he would just continue to mumble about not being able to get work.

Tell me about it. About six months ago I requested some SEO work in the offers section, and of the 5 people that messaged me, not a single one actually called when I sent them our number.

We finally went with a guy from California that was referred to us by a forum member, but he disappeared before the job ever started.

Why would anyone work, when you can collect unemployment comp, WIC, food stamps, SSI, medicaid, and housing subsidies. With all that you can live as well as the working class, and in some cases even better!

Why would anyone work, when you can collect unemployment comp, WIC, food stamps, SSI, medicaid, and housing subsidies. With all that you can live as well as the working class, and in some cases even better!

Don't forget the Obama smartphones with the unlimited service.:mad:

"Why would anyone work, when you can collect unemployment comp, WIC, food stamps, SSI, medicaid, and housing subsidies. With all that you can live as well as the working class, and in some cases even better!"

While that may be true in some cases, I agree with JD on this one, what's the excuse for a business owner who wants to establish a clientele for not showing up to do a job; or giving quotes to a potential client and not doing the job or not showing up. Has happened to me numerous times.

Truthfully I'm always shocked when they actually show up and remember our appointment.

Back