Captive Agent in CT looking to go Independent

CTInsureMe

I have been working for a *Successful and recognized Insurance Agency* for almost 10 years now. Maybe 2.5 million in business written—business I don't own if I leave. I am considering going Independent and I have some saved cash and a spouse with solid financial backing so I can take my time starting out. The primary question is: Will carriers that you were appointed with as an agent recognize my previous submissions/premium (give added consideration to, etc) and be more likely to appoint you as an Independent, or are they looking for books of business you can take with you?

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!

Were they entered through the agency? Even if you received 100% commission I doubt it because your paycheck probably read "XYZ INSURANCE AGENCY"

Were they entered through the agency? Even if you received 100% commission I doubt it because your paycheck probably read "XYZ INSURANCE AGENCY"

Definitely paid through an Agency, and all my contracting was done through them as primary/master agent, etc.

Will an Independent Agent Insurer consider your Past Book of Business [at a Captive agency] as you start a New Scratch Independent Agency?

Question could use: Commercial vs Personal Lines and the States that you are inquiring about. Also specific insurers.

If my summation of your question is accurate - then I would say that some insurers "may" take it into consideration - but - its not like having an exisiting book of business.

Second, marketing an Independent Agency is not the same as a Captive Agency.

Third, the more specific market you are talking about - can really change all of this.

4th - what state? If you are talking about FL or CA - Id say probably no. Other states - Cant say.

This is really where a good Cluster or MGA comes into play,

Back