Captive Agent. Stay or Go Independent?

hanger13

I've been with my company going on 3 years now. I was hired out of college and have great training in P&C, health, and life insurance. I'm in my mid 20's and have had success meeting my yearly quotas, business has been good. I really don't know much on the independent agency side. I've talked to a couple agencies exploring my options and have jobs at both if I want them. I'm looking for advice on long term benefits of switching to the independent side or staying? I understand I'll take a short term pay cut, but will it be worth it down the road? Any advice is appreciated!

Your best bet is to punch in Independent vs. Captive under the search bar and read the other 125 threads asking this exact same question. To answer for you though, go independent.

It depends on what your looking for.

I am in a similar situation as you, been doing insurance for the last three years and in my mid twentys. My captive carrier doesnt offer renewal commission or book ownership so I am moving to the independent agency ownership side to get that.

I've been with my company going on 3 years now. I was hired out of college and have great training in P&C, health, and life insurance. I'm in my mid 20's and have had success meeting my yearly quotas, business has been good. I really don't know much on the independent agency side. I've talked to a couple agencies exploring my options and have jobs at both if I want them. I'm looking for advice on long term benefits of switching to the independent side or staying? I understand I'll take a short term pay cut, but will it be worth it down the road? Any advice is appreciated!

What state are you in and what captive company are you with? These are important factors to consider.

No offense against the indy agents on this forum, but I wouldn't trade my captive agency for an indy any day. It seems like most of the indy agents in my area are shrinking, but I haven't gotten that feeling from the other captives. Well, except for the Farmer's agent. But the others seem to be doing well.

There are some really good companies in Missouri that you should look into that have great captive agent programs. If I were you I'd check out Shelter, American Family, and Nationwide. All of them have very good captive agent programs.

... My captive carrier doesnt offer renewal commission or book ownership so I am moving to the independent agency ownership side to get that.

...why would anyone want to sell insurance if there are no renewals?

insurance commissions, in general, are not that big. You get bigger commissions selling cars or houses, and no renewals...

...why would anyone want to sell insurance if there are no renewals?

insurance commissions, in general, are not that big. You get bigger commissions selling cars or houses, and no renewals...

I get other perks like salary and production bonuses but your right, renewals are why people get in the business in the first place

Back