Captive Agents..Is Anyone Happy?

asg13

Expert
Are their any captive agents that have been in the business say 2-5 yrs happy?

Are they all that bad?
Talkin the top companies here..state farm, all state etc...

I am under 2 years but I am happy with my captive carrier.

Do I plan on staying forever? No.

I am just up against the wall here..I am at a point in my life where I feel i need to make a decision on what to do. I am seriously considering going independent, but captive has its perks! I have just read so much negative feedback on here its hard to even consider! SF contacted me recently and that is how i even came across this forum!

I have been in P&C for only 2.5 yrs but have owned and ran a restaurant business for 6 yrs which is still up and running but i no longer have ownership. So owning a small business doesnt scare me as much if I had no expereince running a business.

Last edited:
I am just up against the wall here..I am at a point in my life where I feel i need to make a decision on what to do. I am seriously considering going independent, but captive has its perks! I have just read so much negative feedback on here its hard to even consider! SF contacted me recently and that is how i even came across this forum!

I have been in P&C for only 2.5 yrs but have owned and ran a restaurant business for 6 yrs which is still up and running but i no longer have ownership. So owning a small business doesnt scare me as much if I had no expereince running a business.

I'm captive and I love my company, but I think I'm in the minority. Most agents seem to hate their company.

What state are you in? Are you an agent now?

Yes..I am a p&c agent in WV. I specialize in all business insurance as well as work comp..I work for an independent agent. I have a great numbers for two years at least for WV, but am looking to make the move..

Income is the biggest scare..I actually do ok now imo. Between my wife and I, we pay the bills and live fine.. It is just time to move on (I THINK).

Last edited:
Yes..I am a p&c agent in WV. I specialize in all business insurance as well as work comp..I work for an independent agent. I have a great numbers for two years at least for WV, but am looking to make the move..

Income is the biggest scare..I actually do ok now imo. Between my wife and I, we pay the bills and live fine.. It is just time to move on (I THINK).

If you have experience then why go captive? Most people go captive first to learn the business and get proper training in sales. They leave because they don't need that anymore and have a better opportunity to grow on their own.

I've been a captive agent for the last 13yrs. The last 9 have been with a top national P&C company. I'm 99% a life agent but am licensed for P&C (do very little of that)
I'm basically happy with the company. Being captive has a few advantages as well as lots of distractions. Being captive, I am limited on the variety of products that I can offer. Also, the compensation is better being independent. I think staying captive for a while is good for training and learning the ropes.
I've been setting myself up to go indy very soon.

dubya4472 said:
I'm captive and I love my company, but I think I'm in the minority. Most agents seem to hate their company.

What state are you in? Are you an agent now?

I never hated my captive company but I just realized I could make so much more on my own.

Not a captive agent but I don't think they are in bad condition. I've heard quite many but not much contented Captive agents stories. They do have some complains but they dwell on the positive side of being one. Some of them stays because of great benefits the company have for them and some settles because they still feel not ready to risk their stable captive agent lives.

I am not sure if other captive p&c agents complain about this but I think one thing that becomes an issue being captive is they want you to sell all their other products whether or not they are competitive in them.

I heard SF agents have to sell 40 life policies a year as do I have a life quota. Our rates can beat by almost any traditional life company so if becomes a much harder sell and takes away a lot of focus from the p&c side.

I do get that it is only going to help our business by selling more life but before putting in such strict quotas, find a way to a bit more competitive, right?

ok I am done.

Back