Captive to Independent...What's the Process??

Aug 5, 2019

1. Todd King

Todd King IMO/FMO Owner

State:
    Virginia
    Tips on things to look for: Are they giving you a fair commission? Do they release upon request (and can you get that in writing). What is their training like? Are they established? Do they have any negative reviews? Can you easily reach them by phone? Do they return phone calls and emails like they should?

2. shawnhersh

shawnhersh New Member

What is the contract process like without an FMO? Is it realistic to be successful without an FMO? I can see it being a paperwork nightmare. I have reached out to a couple local companies to discuss in more detail.

3. Todd King

Todd King IMO/FMO Owner

State:
    Virginia
    It's really easier for you if you can find an FMO that has the products you need. That way, you can do all of your contracts with one place. Some of the companies won't allow you to go direct (that's more on the FE side though).

Let's put it this way....it's sort of like your clients. They could get exactly the same thing without an agent, but why? The get extra perks by going with a agent instead of the company. Same with FMOs.

Let me give you just one example. We have a free quote engine that we give to our agents and it is for Med Supps, Medicare Advantage, and FE. Most insurance companies will only have a quote engine that quotes just their products, not all companies.

4. shawnhersh

shawnhersh New Member

More efficient, more streamline. Makes perfect sense. Thank you!

5. JeremySoper

JeremySoper Expert

State:
    Maryland
    Independent is the way to go!

6. myinsurebiz

myinsurebiz Guru

State:
    Hawaii
    Keep working on that post count Jeremy - you're almost there ;)

7. goillini52

goillini52 KeepAmericaGreat...Eat Bacon & BUILD THAT WALL!!!

State:
    Illinois
    I know that Heartland had a copy cat version of Equitable's HIP. What about their DVH, can't remember if I knew they came out with one? :huh: