Car Accident Question

Mark1111

I was backing out of driveway at midnight and hit a parked car. My 2017 Honda Accord needs a new bumper cover $1K to fix. 2 Days to repair

The other car 2017 Toyota Corolla has a dent in the drivers side door. Estimated $2K to fix. 6 Days to Repair.

State Farm $250 Deductible Accident Free 10 years. Should I file the accident with my insurance company or attempt to pay out of pocket?

Sorry, can't tell you what you SHOULD do. The decision has to be up to you.

If you are willing to spend $3000 to avoid an at-fault surcharge on your own policy, you are free to do that.

Just be willing to write a check to the other car owner, based on HIS estimate, without argument. The minute you balk is when he will go to your insurance company for his money.

That assumes the supplement doesn't find other repairs or additional costs. Also don't forget loss of use for the other driver. I doubt he or she is willing to go carless for 6 days so you can avoid filing a claim. And as Adjusterjack mentioned, the other driver has to be willing to go along with it.

Right:

Repair cost.
Car rental.
Out of pocket expenses.
Diminished value.

Once the other car owner knows that you don't want your insurance involved he can hold you up for just about anything knowing that all he has to do is call your insurance company and you get surcharged for an at-fault accident for 3 years..

I'm guessing the surcharge won't equal the $3000 repair bill, plus a significant extra percentage for the other expenses (not to mention other additional damage they might find when they take the car apart).

Your agent should be able to give you an idea of what effect it should have, but I'd definitely file it. Even if there is a surcharge, this is why you carry insurance.

Mark1111:
Check with your SF agent. Typically if you have a 10yrAFD on the vehicle AND no prior chargeable accidents in the previous 9 years there will be no loss of discount and no surcharge adjustment.

3K$ dollar is too much enough cost if you are trying to settle it on your own then you have to spend this amount Along with this you also need to arrange a rental car for the Toyota Corolla car owner, as the repair works take 6 days. So, I don't think he/she can live without a car. Depending upon the insurance plan and its coverage you need to talk to your insurance provider, Don't tell them this exact thing happened, ask them like suppose if I hit that particular car all those things happened then how much cost can be made - then compare and after that take decisions. One thing if you are going to register this then there is a questionable aspect in your clean driving record. So think about what best can you do it.

3K$ dollar is too much enough cost if you are trying to settle it on your own then you have to spend this amount Along with this you also need to arrange a rental car for the Toyota Corolla car owner, as the repair works take 6 days. So, I don't think he/she can live without a car. Depending upon the insurance plan and its coverage you need to talk to your insurance provider, Don't tell them this exact thing happened, ask them like suppose if I hit that particular car all those things happened then how much cost can be made - then compare and after that take decisions. One thing if you are going to register this then there is a questionable aspect in your clean driving record. So think about what best can you do it.

Any time I read one of your posts, I feel like I'm having a stroke. This industry is heavily driven by our ability to communicate clearly, both through written and verbal communication. How do you even survive?

Wait.. I get it. You make your emails and messages cryptic, so the insured is now confused by their agent AND policy.

Back