Car Flooded in Hurricane but Not a Total Loss

ash2326

Hello everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm hoping to get some helpful advice or insight.

Hurricane Hermine just came through my area causing a lot of flooding. Normally I wouldn't go out in this type of weather but I went with my fiance to check on his grandmother. I ended up on a very flooded street and my car shut completely off. I was not even pushing the gas pedal but allowing the car to just coast as slowly as possible trig it hoping not to get a lot of water in the car or engine. About half way through the flooded area my car shut off. I tried to start it to get it out of the street but it did nothing. All the lights on the dash were lighting up but nothing more. We decided to just get out and walk to dry land. (We also had our kids with us incase you're wondering why I tried to start it to move it, I wanted to get them out of the water before we had to actually walk in it.) As we got out some water entered the car. I wasn't sure how much and didn't bother to look because at this point in only concerned about the kids. We get to a dry street and someone in a SUV comes our way, they offered to push the car out of the way with their SUV and so we did move it to a dry street. I should mention I'm in a 5 series bmw with 176k miles. Once the car was on dry land I tried to start it again. The car tried to turn over this time but didn't start. I opened the hood so the guy who helped us could look with my fiance and find out what they could see. They noticed a significant amount of water in the air intake and the filter was saturated. They pulled it out and shook what water they could out of it. While it was out I tried to start it again and this time it started. It was running like it wanted to shut back off and was struggling to breathe but hey it started. They put the filter back in and I managed to get the car to the nearest gas station.
Now that we're safe and my daughter isn't panicking about an alligator eating her, I called geico. I told them what had happened and why we were now at the gas station instead of where the car got flooded. They sent a tow truck for the car and took notes on the event. I have full coverage including comprehensive. They also set me up for a rental.
Now here's where I'm a little confused. I got an email stating that the estimate was ready. I opened the email and logged in to geico.com to see any notes. The estimate was written for a little over $700 and the notes were to have the inside throughly cleaned/detailed. There were also notes staying that water was in the oil. Noted also that there is water in the air filter. Also NOTE: Remove spark plugs and attempt to turn motor by hand. If motor spins flush and replace oil and attempt to start. It also says that the estimated labor is 5 hours but says they will have the car for 4 days. I'm curious as to how it can only be 5 hours of labor but they need it for 4 days? Also knowing that there's water in the oil shouldn't they also check all the other fluids line the transmission, brake and gas? Also what's going to happen if they pull the speak plugs and the engine doesn't start by hand? I also read something about a compression test, why wouldn't they preform one to make sure no rods were bent or anything?

Please help me understand what's going on. Thank you in advance.

Back