Car got smooshed, their ins will cover it, but... PLOT TWIST!

stag352

My car was backed into by a negligent driver over a year ago. It was entirely her fault, and her insurance agreed. Due to procrastination, however, I stupidly didn't handle the repairs right away, knowing that it was covered, and that I had plenty of time. I had a lady pal move in with me a few months back, and put her on the insurance so she could use my car as necessary (I ride a motorcycle most days). A few weeks ago, she was shopping in a crappy part of town, and a couple guys in a pick-up convinced her they could completely fix the dent for $100 cash. You can probably guess where this is going. She fell for it, and now it looks a lot worse. To me, anyway... lots of ball-peen hammer marks, although the damaged area is no larger than it was originally. So my question is, will the first lady's insurance still honor the claim and fix the damage? Or am I just screwed? Should I even mention it, or just play it off and see what happens? Thanks in advance.

So to recap:

You had a car get damage, insurance agreed to pay, and instead of going to a shop where the insurance would cover it, you (or she) paid $100?

Your story doesn't make sense, which makes it hard to give you specific information. That said:

1. If there was a claim and the insurance carrier agreed to pay it, then they would cover it at a real body shop, not some guy with a hammer for $100.
2. If someone charged $100 for work that was not performed satisfactorily, that is a different issue (and not really insurance related).
3. If the original work had not been done, why? Did you get a check and pocket it? If so, then I go back to point 2.

Hope this helps.

Was there an estimate that the other carrier agreed to pay? Were pictures submitted as part of the original claim?

I am just screwed
Fixed it for you.

PS-- so, on a whim, your lady friend decides as a surprise Christmas present......., you know what, I am going to have the 2 strangers in a bad part of town fix my man's ride as a surprise gift. I am thinking your car is not the only thing that has been getting smooshed

Josh: not sure what doesn't make sense. I clearly stated that I procrastinated on following up on the claim, and in the meantime, my lady friend (sweet but rather gullible) was scammed into letting a couple of "mobile repair service" clowns work over the dent, so that now there's a dozen smaller dents, clearly different from the original damage. I obviously was not present at the time, or I wouldn't be in this fix. But thanks, I guess.

Fed Up: I did submit photos a few months ago, showing her [meaning, the lady that initially hit my car] adjuster the original damage. The adjusters work from home now due to Covid, and he's in another state. After the Band Of Gypsies With Hammers worked over the dent, however, it's clearly obvious that some untrained guys tried to hammer out the dent with the wrong tools. I suspect that will invalidate my claim, but was just checking in here to see if that was, in fact, the case. I certainly have no plans to lie about anything, but at the same time, the lady DID back into my car, they HAVE photos of the original damage, and it just seems like I should get a check for *something, even if it's not the full amount that would fix the damage. Unfortunately for me, I had just purchased the car brand new four months before the lady backed into it. The curse of 2020.

It was entirely her fault, and her insurance agreed.

Agreed to what? To pay for the repairs? How much?

fix the dent for $100 cash

:D

my lady friend (sweet but rather gullible) was scammed

No dude. Sounds like she got a $100 dent repair to me. If I buy something at the swapmeet and it is not all I expected when I get home that is on me.

This part of your story sounds a bit off.

I did submit photos a few months ago, showing her [meaning, the lady that initially hit my car] adjuster the original damage.

Are those what she agreed to pay for? That sounds a bit odd. But Covid rules are different now I guess. I, unfortunately, have had a lot of experience dealing with this stuff. Normally they want to see a shop estimate.

Here is my suggestion. Go to a shop and get an estimate for the repair, submit that to the adjuster. If you are just trying to get some cast and are good with driving it like it is. call them and with the estimate and ask them if they will just cash you out. Follow up with emails so that you have a paper trail. If/when they say no be prepared to negotiate a lower settlement. Also be aware that,at least in my state, Property damage is a separate claim from bodily injury. Being prepared to settle both maybe some leverage on your side.

Contact the adjuster to get the estimate for the repair. Get the check from the insurance company to cover the estimate. Take your car to a bidyshoo and YOU cover any difference between the check and the final bill. Get a smarter lady friend.

I did submit photos a few months ago, showing her [meaning, the lady that initially hit my car] adjuster the original damage.

Then that's all you'll be paid for by that insurance company. A claim for additional damage will be denied. You could submit an estimate based on the current condition but if it looks exaggerated based on the previous photos you'll be paid less.

Latest posts

Back