Car Insurance does not want to pay after total loss

Ditwar

Hello

I am new in this forum. I apology in advance for my bad English because is not my native language. I had an accident where I was not at fault. That was my very first accident. A lady, hit my car, and after that my car was not drive-able. I could move the car from the middle of the street to a nearby parking lot but I could not drive it to home. The police told me I can park the car in an nearby parking lot. I did not have the money to tow it to my home. The insurance company of the lady tow it from the parking lot to a salvage yard few days after the car accident.

The type of car that I had is difficult to find in my area, is a old car, a sedan from 2000 but it was in good condition and did not have so many miles. I searched the internet and the cars in the same conditions as our are selling between 3k to 3.5k. But they are offering only 2k with sale tax. In their first settlement report that they sent us they included 3 cars, far away from where we live, with much more miles and of course much cheaper...

We give them 3 different cars that was in the same conditions as ours and they say, ok the number 1 we will take it but the other ones we do not take them because we could not get the Vin number for those, the dealers does not want to give us the VIN number.....I called the dealers and they sent me the vin numbers without problem. Now they are saying that one of the two that they did not want to include, the vin number is for other trim (that is correct because the lady in the dealer did not give me the correct VIN) And the other is TOO FAR AWAY, the first cars that they included in their report was much more far away. And now they are telling us that our cars are far away?

We are fighting with this people almost 2 months because they keep inventing every type of excuses to not rate the car fairly so they do not have to pay more. They give a poor note to the car because a transmission leak, that my car did not have before the accident. My car had an transmission leak 1 year ago and we repair it, after that my husband always checked oils levels. And we sent them the invoices and they did not want to believe and said that they can not change the rating because she/he could not reach the repair shop.... I called the repair shop and did not have any problem reaching them... because of that they had to correct their report.

I have the feeling that they are lying and not giving all the information that they should give us in order to pay less. Too many inconsistent in their report. They are all the time writing us that if we are not happy we should hire an independent appraiser and they will hire other for them. But the issue here is that they are not making their report fair and correct. And when we take some days to answer, they ask when we will go ahead. I have the feeling that they are pushing that we accept the settlement as soon as possible.

We are asking our self if we hire an appraiser, what would he/she make for us. Does she/he check if the report that the insurance company made is correct or only check the condition of the car? What should we do?

What make and model is your vehicle? The retail asking price at a dealership has little to do with the true value of the vehicle. A little more information would help

Hello InsCommentary
Thank you for your reply. I am considering to add an collision insurance to our policy for the new used car that we bought after the crash. Is this type of insurance that you are talking about?

We are asking our self if we hire an appraiser, what would he/she make for us.

Ditwar, I notice that you are in Florida. Before I retired my claims territory included Florida and I learned early on that appraisers and public adjusters were mostly scammers who would promise to get you more money, have you sign a contract giving them 10% to 15% of whatever they settled for. You'd be no better off than you are now.

If you have evidence showing that comparable cars are going for up to $3500 then you sue the other driver for $3500 in small claims court. If you can get a judgment for $3500 the other driver's insurance company will have to pay the amount of the judgment.

The other driver's insurance company is not your insurance company and owes you nothing until a court of law says so and says how much.

Ask for a copy of the Appraisal (both the estimate and the evaluation of the vehicle). Carriers can expand a territory for cars that are hard to find but if it is a 2000 Sedan then its not like it is a CPI (Car of Particular Interest). They owe you for:

$2,500.00 ACV (Actual Cash Value of Car)-Book Value is not used. Comparable's are.
35.00 Title Transfer Fee (Find out what your County Charges & adjust)
75.00 Pro-Rated License Tabs-(If you paid $150 annually and 6 months left) Your
Registration will till you when your tabs are up.
175.00 Sales Tax (add the appropriate Sales Tax in your ZIP CODE
$2,785.00 Gross Owing in exchange for signed off Title

They also owe for reasonable loss of use from the time of the loss till the time it was determined your car was a total loss and an offer was extended. 10 days at $25 a day loss of use? If you have car seats in the car for children they also owe for replacement of those on a 100% basis, even if its a booster seat. If so, go to Target or Walmart.com and find comparables.

If you have receipts for repairs beyond typical maintenance then you should supply a copy of that. Do not send in stuff like oil changes or wiper blades. New Transmission work? Engine work, New Tires then supply the receipts. I've seen times were the appraiser just checks boxes and doesn't note the tire tread depth--mentioning 7/32 when the tires have hardly and wear and are at 12/32 nds. The biggest adjustment is body condition. A rating of "Fair" will deduct a substantial figure from the value of the car. Again, be sure that the evaluation was not done boilerplate where everything is "Fair" your looking for a higher rating if it is warranted.

Finally, since they moved your car they have paid advance towing and storage on the vehicle to get it to the Salvage Pool. The Salvage Pool gives them some time to get the documents together, such as a signed off Title, Power of Attorney etc to complete the sale of the vehicle. However, it does not go on forever. At some point, they will start to charge the carrier, even one dollar a day.

The adjuster doesn't want this to sit on their pending inventory for long periods of time either. They get judged on closing ratios, salvage recovery %'s, almost every metric you can think of. Some carrier's will let the adjuster "adjust" the offer up to a preset limit like $250--without getting supervisory approval. Start putting your demands in writing, or email to document everything.

After understanding all your incidents I find that why all those things depend upon the lady insurance company. Why doesn't your insurance company take a role in it? If you do not take your car insurance then it is your fault, At least you must have car insurance - instead of depending upon that lady if you have insurance that covers damage and accidents then your insurance company will take care of all those things, as well as they also talk to the lady insurance company and settle it legally by providing you the best price of your car.

After understanding all your incidents I find that why all those things depend upon the lady insurance company. Why doesn't your insurance company take a role in it? If you do not take your car insurance then it is your fault, At least you must have car insurance - instead of depending upon that lady if you have insurance that covers damage and accidents then your insurance company will take care of all those things, as well as they also talk to the lady insurance company and settle it legally by providing you the best price of your car.
Rolf to the rescue 3 years after the fact.

Back