Car Insurance for one living anywhere and nowhere

Shaul Weaver

I work online, and am making a change to simply live abroad. I won't have any permanent address, and for many years won't be in any state more than any other really, dozens and dozens of 'regulars'.

In reading online,
1) I'm not finding an easy answer, which speaks worlds (as there should be an F.A.Q. on this from like every provider)

2) I see mentions how insurance agents will not like dealing with someone who is so transient, as they are 'state oriented'.

3) I want to avoid some of the stories that people aren't covered when something happens, due to details and cracks between the words of their policies on this topic.

Please, can someone share with me the -legit- way to go about this detail? In the UK it is -required- to have a permanent address, as a legislative thing for auto insurance.

I much appreciate the help =)
I've called on this directly but was trolled, essentially they have no idea, and kept passing me from rep to rep instead of answering my question.

First question that comes to mind is...what state will your drivers license show? Second question would be...where will the car be garaged while you are abroad? Your best bet might be renting while you are in the US, certainly renting while you are abroad, and using the CDW or coverage through the carrier. If you own a vehicle, in many states you MUST carry liability on it so long as it has tags. I would not want to have to visit MVA's to turn in tags and reregister when back in town. What a colossal waste of time. Rent, UBER, buy a motorcycle, buy a bike

You don't provide any specific information about your situation, whether you are bringing or buying a car, leasing one, relying on Uber, how long you may be in one place or another, if you're applying for a driver's license, etc. If you can be more specific, maybe someone can help.

Most independent agents and independently owned offices will avoid someone like you as you are not profitable. However, the "call center" agencies like Geico may be a better fit for you. The $7/hr high school dropout you get on the phone won't care how much work you are and whether or not you are making the company money. Plus the next time you call you will get transferred to someone else in the call center, or to a call center in god-knows-where.

markthebroker: Some very well educated agents work for Geico, Farmers, Allstate call centers. Some very good people like being an employee because of the safety net. He may be a difficult customer, he might be someone who pays and you never hear from. He would most definitely be a bit more work as he starts and terminates coverage. He might also lay a big fat life policy on your condescending desk based on his travel habits. Best to treat all potential customers like gold

markthebroker: Some very well educated agents work for Geico, Farmers, Allstate call centers. Some very good people like being an employee because of the safety net. He may be a difficult customer, he might be someone who pays and you never hear from. He would most definitely be a bit more work as he starts and terminates coverage. He might also lay a big fat life policy on your condescending desk based on his travel habits. Best to treat all potential customers like gold

I appreciate your idealistic fact-less response. I want two things from you fed up.

1- Please put me in touch with anyone who has invested the time and money to become well educated so they can work in a call center.

2- Put me in touch with the agency owner that is interested in writing a disproportionately high risk high cost difficult to underwrite low premium client. I want to hear from him/her and his/her logic.

I anxiously await your response.

I don't work in a call center, have been in insurance sales for 12 years, have a degree, have a family and a beautiful home. I have worked as an independent and a captive agent and have looked at the Geicos of the world when things were tight and jobs were scarce. I have paid over 1500 per week to daycare for 3 children and the security of a guaranteed paycheck had merit.
I have found that 10 percent of my customers fill 90% of my time but some surprise me on a monthly basis with found money and insurance needs. Shaul needs to answer some basic questions. Where is he licensed (most states want a permanent address on a DL). Without a valid license he will not be able to drive overseas and there is little chance AAA will do an international DL for him. I would take the 8-10% commission on his auto for 100% of his life premium or 100% of his business

Thanks for the response fed up. I'm not really sure how your beautiful home or daycare figures into this anymore than my vacation home and my offroad truck and my dirtbike. Nor do I understand how his non existent life insurance policy or his non existent business policy figures into this.

Are you capable of backing up any of your flimsy statements by answering either of my two questions directly?

I guess you just can't read. Had the offer been made I was ready to work a 40 hour shift at Geico, live in an extend-a stay if necessary, and never had an agency owner say that a customer is not worth the bother. Wish I could walk in your shoes but life experiences have not permitted me to turn people away

I have turned business away and will continue to. I haven't written a home or auto policy in years because they are too small. I don't have a single quote I am working on right now under $10k

I focus on commercial so that I can work 30ish hours a week and spend the rest of my time 4wheeling, dirtbiking and hanging out at my vacation home.

If you want to spend 3x as much time working on a policy that is a fraction of the commission because maybe, someday, somehow, maybe, maybe, maybe he will buy life insurance, then god bless. Good luck with the underwriting on that. Based on your previous response, I have a pretty good idea of how that business model has worked for you.

Back