Car Insurance

Hello all!
I am a life guy and have been in the Life forums for a while.
I know very little about PnC.
The short version of my question ( I Iive in Florida).
If I hold a drivers license in Portugal I must give up my Florida license.
Could I insure a car in the states without a domestic drivers license?

It has been my experience in the insurance industry that insurance underwriters require a local driver license where you insure your car. There may be exceptions for unlicensed people who own cars and employ drivers, but I don't know anything about that. You'd have to find that out from the state DMV.

As for Portugal, what I have just read indicates that you do not need a Portugal driver license if you are just visiting up to 6 months.

See:

Portuguese driving license: getting one as a foreigner | Expatica

US states typically require that you have only one license, in your state of residence, and will require you to surrender your other state's license. Whether any given state applies that requirement to a foreign license is something you will have to check with that state's DMV.

Whether Portugal requires you to surrender your Florida license is something you'll have to check out with the Portuguese authorities.

you can visit 90 days in a rolling 180.
my goal is to spend half year there half year here.
we have been approved for a d7 visa but if I go through with it, I have to turn in my license which is not feasible.
My time there will not be consecutive.
I am just trying to sort out my options

I don't want to give you a bum steer so take my comments for the 2 cents that they are worth.

I looked up information about the D7 Visa. It appears to be a road to residency in Portugal and, yes, you have to get a driver license within 90 days of your first SEF appointment. You'll have to surrender your Florida license and it will be sent back to the US.

How to Change your USA Driver's License to a Portuguese Driver's License | Blanca Valbuena

Florida allows visitors (non-residents) to drive with their foreign licenses (Section 322.04):

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine (state.fl.us)

Your post, however, seems to imply that you will be maintaining residency and owning a car titled and registered in Florida. That, I think, is where your problem is.

Florida is going to require valid local insurance.

I suggest you check with your insurance company so see if you can continue to insure it under the circumstances you propose. That's the only way to get an answer to that question.

If you can insure it that doesn't solve the problem of being a resident of Florida and driving on a foreign license. That could be trouble if you get pulled over.

Thank you for your help.
It seems the D7 visa at this time does not work for me.
It is very possible that we will not be able to visit with the frequency we desire.
As my home is rented when I am not there , it does produce income and I pay Poftuguese taxes.
I am going to see if I can get a business visa.
I appreciate your effort.

I write a policy that has several drivers on it that don't have a state drivers license with Progressive. All the drivers have licenses from China, but only a few have local licenses. Check with Progressive if they still offer it. There are probably other carriers that will consider. Call around and talk to some reputable agents in your area.

I write a policy that has several drivers on it that don't have a state drivers license with Progressive. All the drivers have licenses from China, but only a few have local licenses. Check with Progressive if they still offer it. There are probably other carriers that will consider. Call around and talk to some reputable agents in your area.

Yes, Progressive will allow for a foreign license on their personal auto. We have a few folks who come here with Mexican DL's and can get policies there. Dairyland will do it too, but I don't know if they write in FL.

Its great to have the info.
I am not sure I want to give up my license.
I do have a consult with the Portuguese embassy to check other types of visas that may be more applicable.
I may be able to accomplish what I want just by getting an extended stay.
Thanks all for the info

Latest posts

Back