Car off road for 4 months....

Mark Tee

Hi Guys,
On August 4th I was rear ended at the traffic lights by a young guy doing 50mph whilst texting. I have a Land Rover Series 3 (similar to a Defender). This vehicle is 45 years old and parts are difficult to find at times. My car has been with the garage for 4 months waiting for parts, painting, repairs etc. I have been to the garage once a week to check on progress... But it is still there.

I have asked my insurance company about claiming from the 3rd party insurer for the time my car has been off the road (I have asked for $35 per day). My insurer, Hagerty has said I can't claim for that. Is this the case? Or should I go direct to the other guy's insurer (Met Life)?

You should be supplied with a rental from the other person's policy but 4 months is a stretch. Is this your only vehicle? Most policies have a limit on time from the original claim and then can extend that time frame ($30/day for 30 days) if necessary. You might run the chance of having the other insurance carrier total the vehicle, proceed with caution

The vehicle has an agreed value of $30,000 although it is probably worth more. Should I claim the time off road direct from the 3rd party insurer? Thank you for your reply.

You get reimbursed for a rental, not time off the road. the first 30 days should have already been provided as part of the claim. The next period of time will depend on the carrier. They have agreements with rental car companies and could approve a vehicle much smaller than yours for the extended period. Contact the Claims department of the company representing the at fault party. The agreed value is with Hagerty, not the party paying the claim

No. You don't get time off the road. Period.

You likely aren't going to get any rental money from the liability carrier as you obviously have something else to drive and you aren't incurring any rental expenses.

Even if this was your only vehicle and you were incurring transportation costs your recovery against the other driver would still be limited as you are obligated to mitigate your damages.

No court is going to award you 4 months (and counting) transportation costs because your parts are scarce. I suggest you light a fire under your collision man or start looking for parts yourself if you haven't already done so.

Back