Car Total, No One Else Involved...Tell Insurance?

TurkeyOnRyeII

I was in an accident that totaled my vehicle. No one else was involved. How do I approach this with insurance? Will my liability rates go up if I tell them I was involved in an accident? I have an annual liability insurance policy that is paid in-full. Can I get a refund, or should I just take it as a loss so there isn't a gap in my insurance coverage?

Did the accident involve citations that will show up on your driving record when an insurance company checks that?

Did the accident involve citations that will show up on your driving record when an insurance company checks that?

No citations, no reports. Police and Incident Response arrived, assessed the situation. They towed it. They didn't even ask for my information. The police gave me a ride to a bus stop and I went home.

didnt want you waiting on another response from me. not an agent, that just seemed like an important piece of info left out of your orig question. You'll have to wait for another responder to get the info you're looking for.

If you only had a liability policy and no property damage (other then your car), you won't need to file an insurance report. There is no claim to be made.

If you are going to get another car, I would keep the policy and just switch the car that is covered.

Dan

If you only had a liability policy and no property damage (other then your car), you won't need to file an insurance report. There is no claim to be made.

If you are going to get another car, I would keep the policy and just switch the car that is covered.

Dan

Just for my education, would collision or comprehensive options in the auto policy cover this type of loss?

Dan

This ^^^^
My son totalled one of our cars a year ago. No claim filed, I'm just out a car. Don't tell the ins company unless you have to.

----------
I have an annual liability insurance policy that is paid in-full. Can I get a refund, or should I just take it as a loss so there isn't a gap in my insurance coverage?

As mentioned, you will probably get another car....leave the policy in force for now, once you have it - swap it over. Cost may change some depending on what you get, compared to what you had.

----------

Just for my education, would collision or comprehensive options in the auto policy cover this type of loss?

If the policy carried coverage, than yes... less the deductible. Collision would typically be the covg used in an accident, other than a deer hit, etc. I didn't have collision on my car our son wrecked, it was older and not worth the cost to carry it.

pfg, thanks for the answer. Didn't want to hijack the thread, just wanted the answer. (I carry those on everything, even though it probably does not make economic sense to do so. Tradition!)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Sounds like the thing to do for the moment is just keep my policy and take public transit until I get a new car. That may not happen for several months, but I'd rather maintain continuous coverage, because I know if I drop the insurance, I'll be paying more when I get a new policy.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Sounds like the thing to do for the moment is just keep my policy and take public transit until I get a new car. That may not happen for several months, but I'd rather maintain continuous coverage, because I know if I drop the insurance, I'll be paying more when I get a new policy.

If I wouldn't have a car for several months I would cancel the policy.

Latest posts

Back