Cardiomyopathy Along with Insulin Use for Type I Diabetes

Speck

Guru
100+ Post Club
Just got off the phone with someone at Foresters since they are supposed to be favorable to someone with cardiomyopathy. She got diagnosed 3 years ago and their questions asks if it's been in the last 2 years. The guy I spoke to at Foresters though asked me if she still had it.....really? Does anyone recuperate from cardiomyopathy? I've always thought it gradually gets worse over the years until it ends up being CHF or similar. Anyway, I told him that she's been taking Coreg for it since diagnosis and that I wanted to see if they would consider that treatment or maintenance. He said they would probably rate it as modified since she's still taking treatment for it. Anyway, anyone know of any other company that would take this first day?

Just got off the phone with someone at Foresters since they are supposed to be favorable to someone with cardiomyopathy. She got diagnosed 3 years ago and their questions asks if it's been in the last 2 years. The guy I spoke to at Foresters though asked me if she still had it.....really? Does anyone recuperate from cardiomyopathy? I've always thought it gradually gets worse over the years until it ends up being CHF or similar. Anyway, I told him that she's been taking Coreg for it since diagnosis and that I wanted to see if they would consider that treatment or maintenance. He said they would probably rate it as modified since she's still taking treatment for it. Anyway, anyone know of any other company that would take this first day?

Humana Graded(25*50*75*100) is the only possibility I'm coming up with. That's a tough combination.

cardiomyopathy can get worse, stay the same or get better. There is no way to predict. It is basically overworked heart muscle disease, if it is due to some virus and the virus is gone, it can completely heal. The major issue with cardiomyopathy is that the cause is many times just guess work. If it is the kind that is getting worse, they will most likely put ICD, on all other cases it is wait and see. They will prescribe drugs to control it. You can live to be in your 90's with it.

It sounds like they have hers controlled even if they have not figured out the cause.

Last edited:

If she has not changed her meds in the last 2 years (decrease is okay), then Great Western would probably do it level coverage.

They don't do Level for insulin...has to be GI.

Unless.....(straight from the UW Guide)

All medications taken or prescribed to applicant for disqualifying conditions during the past two years must satisfy the maintenance medication exemption as described below or the applicant should select “Yes” to question three on the application. Applicants are not required to select “Yes” to question three if the prescription(s) that they have are for maintenance medication. Maintenance medications are those medications that have remained the same (or the generic equivalent) over the past two years. These are drugs that have been
prescribed for chronic, long-term conditions and are taken on a regular and recurring basis; medications that have been prescribed for use “as needed” are not included in this definition. The prescribed dosage can have decreased over the past two years, but it cannot have increased during that time.

Unless.....(straight from the UW Guide)

All medications taken or prescribed to applicant for disqualifying conditions during the past two years must satisfy the maintenance medication exemption as described below or the applicant should select “Yes” to question three on the application. Applicants are not required to select “Yes” to question three if the prescription(s) that they have are for maintenance medication. Maintenance medications are those medications that have remained the same (or the generic equivalent) over the past two years. These are drugs that have been
prescribed for chronic, long-term conditions and are taken on a regular and recurring basis; medications that have been prescribed for use “as needed” are not included in this definition. The prescribed dosage can have decreased over the past two years, but it cannot have increased during that time.

Also taken straight from the UW guide(Page 14).

"Diabetes Mellitus or Insulin Dependent Diabetes (IDDM) – If the applicant is on insulin for diabetes, answer “YES” and write a Guaranteed Issue policy."

Insulin use, cancer(other than skin) and oxygen use will always be GI, even if their meds haven't changed in the past 2 years.

Also taken straight from the UW guide(Page 14).

"Diabetes Mellitus or Insulin Dependent Diabetes (IDDM) – If the applicant is on insulin for diabetes, answer “YES” and write a Guaranteed Issue policy."

Insulin use, cancer(other than skin) and oxygen use will always be GI, even if their meds haven't changed in the past 2 years.

The part that I have bolded in your statement does in fact exist in the agent guide, however, the original part that I posted about the meds negates that if they have not changed meds in the past 2 years because it is the exception. It clearly states that.

The 2nd part of your statement did not come from the UW guide. I've attached the newest one for all to see. (For most states).

View attachment GWIC Agent Field Manual-AL, AR, AZ, CO, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, .pdf

The part that I have bolded in your statement does in fact exist in the agent guide, however, the original part that I posted about the meds negates that if they have not changed meds in the past 2 years because it is the exception. It clearly states that.

The 2nd part of your statement did not come from the UW guide. I've attached the newest one for all to see. (For most states).

View attachment 3398

The 2nd part of my statement was my summarizing what it says in the UW Guide and is correct.

The 1st part of my statement was correct. I just called and verified that my previous post was correct.

I just noticed that your UW Guide is 3/16 and mine is 7/15. I'm waiting on the new one and the new apps. Doesn't change what I posted, except now it's on Page 15 instead of Page 14.

Last edited:
Check Liberty Bankers, I know the insulin isn't an issue with them but I can't say 100% on the cardiomyopathy.

Back