Care Improvement Plus Renewals and United Healthcare

horskj

HELLO
As a former Care Improvement Plus agent that has spent the last 5 year building a sizeable renewal base, I was quite concerned when UHC purchased XLHealth. As someone who is not contracted and was not able to contract back with UHC I was shocked to learn that UHC was not going to pay CIP renewals to agents that did not contract with UHC.
I know that I am not the only one in this situation and I do not want to walk away and take a 35K a year hit from CIP renewals. What is anyone else being told about CIP renewals and is there anyone who has seen if a class action is or talked about being filed. Thanks for the help.

So you were appointed with CIP, but denied appointment with UHC after they purchased CIP? Is that what you are saying? For what reason are they denying you? Who is your FMO with CIP? Have they gone to bat for you?

So you were appointed with CIP, but denied appointment with UHC after they purchased CIP? Is that what you are saying? For what reason are they denying you? Who is your FMO with CIP? Have they gone to bat for you?

Yes that is the case…
I was originally a test agent with UCH back in 2004 and was doing UHC up till 2009. In 2009 UHC terminated my contract. Reason was I had accumulated 9 complaints in 5 years and 600 plus enrollments. The termination was without cause and I am still getting my UHC renewals. The rub came when they termed my contract in ’09 it was flagged as not eligible for rehire…a practice they now only flag for a termination with cause.
My FMO and I spent countless hours and letters to UHC to have the flag removed to no avail. As a result I was not able to re-certify with CIP due to everything being run up under UHC. I am an Agency Director and in the past when I had agents that were no longer with CIP, they always gave them an option to re-certify so that the renewals, as well as the overrides would continue to be paid. UHC did not make that option available.

HELLO
As a former Care Improvement Plus agent that has spent the last 5 year building a sizeable renewal base, I was quite concerned when UHC purchased XLHealth. As someone who is not contracted and was not able to contract back with UHC I was shocked to learn that UHC was not going to pay CIP renewals to agents that did not contract with UHC.
I know that I am not the only one in this situation and I do not want to walk away and take a 35K a year hit from CIP renewals. What is anyone else being told about CIP renewals and is there anyone who has seen if a class action is or talked about being filed. Thanks for the help.

First off, I'm sorry for your loss, truly. i think that it blows. I don't know if it would help, but how about contacting your local congressman? I am in the same boat, but only had 3 CIPs, 2 of which I switched to a plan that actually believes in paying its agents. Is there nothing that you could switch them to?
The CIP in my area (Texas) had low ratings from CMS for three years in a row. CMS mailed the CIP members a letter that reinforced how awful CIP was. That letter helped me persuade the clients to flee from it. In all fairness, they brought up the letter before I did, but it did help. If you'd like a copy of the letter, I'd be happy to share it with you.
I just read your second post. I can't believe that they would do that to such a high producer, even after the countless hours that you all spent trying to fix it. I pray that UHC doesn't buy up every other plan in sight for fear that I'd lose everything that I've worked for.

Last edited:
Yes that is the case…
I was originally a test agent with UCH back in 2004 and was doing UHC up till 2009. In 2009 UHC terminated my contract. Reason was I had accumulated 9 complaints in 5 years and 600 plus enrollments. The termination was without cause and I am still getting my UHC renewals. The rub came when they termed my contract in ’09 it was flagged as not eligible for rehire…a practice they now only flag for a termination with cause.
My FMO and I spent countless hours and letters to UHC to have the flag removed to no avail. As a result I was not able to re-certify with CIP due to everything being run up under UHC. I am an Agency Director and in the past when I had agents that were no longer with CIP, they always gave them an option to re-certify so that the renewals, as well as the overrides would continue to be paid. UHC did not make that option available.

Did you ever have any success in getting paid?

Dear horskj,

I know this will be hard to believe, but in the long run, if you stay in this business for many years to come, this will turn out to be a blessing. This past AEP, I sold 0 MA plans. I am extremely happy to be able to say this. The problems you are experiencing are not fair, but they are also not rare with this organization. Step away from the abyss!

Back