Care to Wager a Guess?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Just sent an inquiry to Golden Rule regarding a current client. Single parent HSA with 2 children, ages 15 & 17. Parent going on Medicare in June. Asked GR what they would do about the kids. Waiting on a response.

Care to guess what they may say?

Just sent an inquiry to Golden Rule regarding a current client. Single parent HSA with 2 children, ages 15 & 17. Parent going on Medicare in June. Asked GR what they would do about the kids. Waiting on a response.

Care to guess what they may say?

My guess is they will drop the kids when the parents go on Medicare, being it is after 9/23, not matter when the policy was effective initially. That's my guess.

Kids will likely be dropped. If not, anyone could beat that "no child only" policy rule by applying with their kid then instantly dropping themselves off.

Last edited:
Parent is disabled, age 59, qualifying for Medicare.

In the past GR would spin the kids off to their own policy but that was before Obamacrap. Haven't run in to this since 9/23/10.

So far no response from GR.

Time for everyone to start packing the kids off to a "relative" in California. We have to write 'em out here and they are GI year-round (at full commission, too :biggrin:)

Parent is disabled, age 59, qualifying for Medicare.

In the past GR would spin the kids off to their own policy but that was before Obamacrap. Haven't run in to this since 9/23/10.

So far no response from GR.

If policy was effective before 9/23/10, then they should allow the kids to keep the policy, or change to plan 100.

Policy is 4+ yrs old. He has worn out GR claims dept, satisfying a family $10k deductible by Feb of each year since 2008.

They will be glad to see him go.

Yes, the SHOULD issue policies to the kids but hard to say.

Dave, are you renting out rooms? Can you afford to feed 2 teenage boys?

My guess is that they will have to keep insuring the kids. I have a similar case in AZ, with Blue Cross, and the kids got their own policy. It would just be like GR to contest it, but in the final analysis, I would bet that they would have to keep insuring the kids.

Side note - As you probably know, according to IRS rules, the parents can no longer contribute to the HSA fund for children-only, but they can continue to distribute funds that have already accumulated.

If the policy is grandfathered, won't they just make one of the kids the primary on the existing policy instead of issuing a new one?

Back