Career Agent with United Health?

Tim Resnick

Super Genius
Hi Friends,

I'm being offered a position with United Health Care as a ICA in florida to sell Med Adv. plans this open enrollment period. I know the managers are not totally up front, but thats the way the game is played.

Supposedly they get their leads from AARP. I'm sure they are good for education, but not sure how strong their network is in my county. My guess is they are strong but the number 1 market share in my county is Humana, and there must be a reason. According to the Humana Division manager; they have 28 agents in house and are expecting to sign up 10000 new med.advantage clients this open enrollment period in my county alone.

• Anyone working as a ICA for Unitedhealth?
  • How many leads can an ICA expect?
  • Do they have in house department that signs people up like Humana?
  • Why would Humana have such a lead in my county over United?

Anyway,..any constructive comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

~Tim

Hi Friends,

I'm being offered a position with United Health Care as a ICA in florida to sell Med Adv. plans this open enrollment period. I know the managers are not totally up front, but thats the way the game is played.

Supposedly they get their leads from AARP. I'm sure they are good for education, but not sure how strong their network is in my county. My guess is they are strong but the number 1 market share in my county is Humana, and there must be a reason. According to the Humana Division manager; they have 28 agents in house and are expecting to sign up 10000 new med.advantage clients this open enrollment period in my county alone.

Thanks very much

~Tim

UHC has excellent market share in multiple product lines in Florida-if Humana has more in your area it must be in South Florida and it would be mostly their HMO product.

You are a newbie and need direction and help, take the job, learn something, and maybe you will be better able to make these decisions when you have more experience.

I have been an ICA in South Carolina since 2008. The leads can be good. I have paid for leads that were not as good. I think the compensation is good, especially the renewals, if you stick around. This is all based on my experience here, where I was the only agent the first year or two, so YMMV. Last I heard, Florida was not running out of old people.

And yes, UHC has in-house telesales people who will try to enroll inbound callers. A lot of the callers want to see a live person so they get some feel for the product and the company. That's what you get the big bux for.

AARP/UHC Med Supp is very competitive in FL. Low rates if not the lowest. UW is fairly liberal in TN I assume it so in FL. They do not have a plan G at this time. I believe it is to come on board in 2018. One avenue would be to focus on T65 business as you would have brand recognition and competitive pricing, for folks shopping around you would have decent/competitive rates and liberal UW.

You can go on the AARP Medicare Advantage website and look up network docs and hospitals to get a feel for it.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

Thanks very much

~Tim

What county you in? This can help dictate which way you should go

ICA with UHC aint abad deal, i almost decided to go that route when i left Bankers, but really hated the idea of working for someone else. From what I remember, they have a great benefits package, which is a real selling point. Plus they are super competitive in this state, so you shouldnt have too hard of a time making a BoB

So their are only 2 real downsides that i can think of:

1) your captive. So you cant offer other companies, and you will lose a fair amount of deals because of this
2) markets change over time. UHC may be competitive this year, but 5 years from now, they may not. And then your stuck offering them, or going indy and starting over.

Hi Friends,

Thanks very much

~Tim

If you are just starting out take a position with Humana- you cant get better MA training and support anywhere else. If you are new to the biz you will likely flounder starting as an ICA - especially once AEP is over.You may get a few leads in AEP as an ICA , 10 if you are lucky,with UHC but no real training and obviously no base comp, benefits etc. I believe UHC doesn't have employee internal sales reps (ISR) anymore in Fl.

Humana have base pay?

I received something from Wellcare (or was it Wellport) indicating that had some level of base pay

Humana have base pay?

I received something from Wellcare (or was it Wellport) indicating that had some level of base pay

Both Humana and Wellcare have employee agents that get base pay,benefits etc probably worth about 40-50k.The major downside besides being captive is you don't keep renewals when you leave but still the way to go if you want to hit the ground running.Leave after a few years and go independent.

I heard today that Aetna/Coventry is offering a lead program for 2017.My understanding is you are not captive but have to sell Aetna products on the Aetna provided leads for a tiered commish schedule similar to how Humana and Wellcare captive agents are paid commish which starts out much lower then the standard 428.00

Both Humana and Wellcare have employee agents that get base pay,benefits etc probably worth about 40-50k.The major downside besides being captive is you don't keep renewals when you leave but still the way to go if you want to hit the ground running.Leave after a few years and go independent.

I heard today that Aetna/Coventry is offering a lead program for 2017.My understanding is you are not captive but have to sell Aetna products on the Aetna provided leads for a tiered commish schedule similar to how Humana and Wellcare captive agents are paid commish which starts out much lower then the standard 428.00

Thanks Yogoogle,

I was too late to get inhouse gig with Humana and you can't keep clients once you leave. I was told you can, with United. I will check out that Aetna program for leads too. *I'm just trying to determine how many leads i will get in my county of WPBeach for United this season?

1. I wonder how competitive Coventry and Wellcare will be this season in my area? (dr.networks, etc) How strong is their network in S.fla?

2. Also, Will their Company be Aetna/Coventry or just Coventry? How strong is their network in S.fla?

~Tim

Thanks Yogoogle,

I was too late to get inhouse gig with Humana and you can't keep clients once you leave. I was told you can, with United. I will check out that Aetna program for leads too. *I'm just trying to determine how many leads i will get in my county of WPBeach for United this season?

1. I wonder how competitive Coventry and Wellcare will be this season in my area? (dr.networks, etc) How strong is their network in S.fla?

2. Also, Will their Company be Aetna/Coventry or just Coventry? How strong is their network in S.fla?

~Tim

Wellcare-terrible network in Palm Beach County

Aetna and Coventry will be leaving Florida by 2018 if the Humana merger goes through, another waste of time.

Latest posts

Back