Career Change from Attorney to Insurance Sales

ptntatty

I am looking to change direction and begin selling insurance. I have interviewed with Farmer's and really liked the people and have had Farmer's products in the past. (We now have USAA insurance because we are a military family.)
In addition to selling the standard Home/Auto/Life policies, the manager is encouraging me to study for the securities exam so that I can also work with financial products. However, after reading some of the very unkind comments about Farmer's products I am having serious doubts.

Are there any Farmer's agents on the forum that could give me any positive information about working for the company?

Why in the HE double hockey sticks would you want to give up law, to start an insurance practice?

It takes as long, or longer to build up an insurance business, and you don't need to finish pre-school.

Almost has to be $$$. No other good reason.Some unsuccessful attorneys can become excellent insurance agents.

Law isn't as lucrative as a lot of people make it out to be. At least not in the beginning, and there are attorneys who never really make it to where they imagined.

Law isn't as lucrative as a lot of people make it out to be. At least not in the beginning, and there are attorneys who never really make it to where they imagined.

The honest ones do not make it. I think they should look into trying to combine the two with estate planning, insurance and investments.

If you make the transition, don't refer to yourself as a former attorney thinking it is going to boost your credibility. It will just raise questions like in the above post.

Quite a few people who get law degrees wind up hating the profession.

My cousin went to law to school and quit on her third year. She told me that she loved the law side of it, but couldn't lie as much as the job requires.

And as far money goes, she told me first year attorneys working for say the State of Florida, makes $38k per year - which surprised me as a low number.

The two professions are about the same inasmuch as they both tend to attract "bottom feeders.";)

Of course, members of this forum are excluded from that category.

:err::twitchy::D

Back