Career Change

Angio333

Expert
Ohio
Hello,

I am currently considering a career change and I would like to get into insurance sales and/or financial advising.

Are there any companies that I should avoid or that you would reccomend? I do have an interview scheduled with Farmers next week.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I am currently considering a career change and I would like to get into insurance sales and/or financial advising.

Are there any companies that I should avoid or that you would reccomend? I do have an interview scheduled with Farmers next week.

Thanks in advance.

Follow your conscious for making the right career decision. Make sure you enjoy marketing and helping people and you will do fine. But if you don't like prospecting, marketing new business then you won't stand a chance in making any business successful.

Farmers is a reputible company. I hear they will provide you a book of business and even a salary starting off.

UGA, NAA. Mega, :no::no::no:

Hello,

What kind of insurance tickles your fancy? Pick one, become an "expert" at it and concentrate your efforts there. Do not try to be all things to all people.

Starting a selling career in insurance on a salary is a death wish in my opinion. One will only make the "big bucks" selling on straight commission. There is no stronger motivator to learn the business and make a sale than if you don't sell something today, you don't get to eat dinner tonight.

Working on a salary will only make you lazy, complacent, and lead to an early end of your career once you are put on straight commission. Just my opinion of salaried sales jobs.

The work part of selling insurance is the prospecting. If you are planning on being supplied with "leads" and not capable of doing your own prospecting then forget it.

Does "starting salary" mean that it tapers off and ends at some point?

I agree with Frank; sales jobs with long-term salaries tend to limit you. But if the salary is designed to allow you to pay your mortgage until you have a client base, it may not lead to such laziness.

The posters to this forum seem to be, for the most part, people who have figured out a way to make it in this business. My guess is that few of us would trade what we have for a salaried position. There is nothing wrong with a salary, but most of us like the fact that our income has no ceiling even if that comes at the expense of it having no floor.

I hope that you become one of those who enjoy this profession and who enjoy coming to work in the morning. It is truly a great profession, although you will have to work both hard and smart, especially when you get started.

I will PM you with the names of the companies I had bad experiences with.

Good Luck

Thanks for the information. I have no problem going straight commission, but would like to have a small salary starting out top help with the tranition.

I like you, am also considering a career change after 14 years in healthcare. I'll still be helping people, but in a diifferent way.
I have read many posts from people on this forum that recommend going
"captive" so you can learn the biz from others who have been doing it.
You might not make as much $$ initially, but you'll have others around you to turn to if you should need help. Once you get knowledgeable, and have established a client base, that's when you look at going independent.
That is going to be the path I choose. I hope it is the right one.
I'm afraid of starting indepent, having no prior sales experience, and falling flat on my face. I have a wife and 4 kids to care for. I make good money in my current position, but before too long I'll be capped out.
Plus, I feel that I'm ready for a career change at this point in my life.
It's kind of scary to leave my "comfort zone", but as they say,
"nothing ventured, nothing gained".
Best of luck to you.
Keep me posted on your progress.
Kindly,
Barry

Back