Career Life Expectancy of an FE Agent

DayTimer

Guru
5000 Post Club
Here is a question especially for those who recruit or have recruited downline agents to specifically sell final expense insurance.

This is month number nine for me. I'm not going anywhere (though I would like to "dabble" in trying my hand hand at specifically building a book of term business with a clientele that is perhaps a bit more like me than my FE clientele is). I am asking this question because in the almost nine months that I have been doing this, I have come across only 3 agents in my area who have been focusing on FE for years. Two are guys about my age who have been in the insurance business for 20+ years, with the last 10 or so focused primarily on final expense. The third is an agent who seems to write nothing but a GI product. He goes door to door with his tablet computer and writes a GI eApp anyone and everyone who wants insurance. I know there is a married couple who are captive Trans agents as well. I would guess there must be others I haven't come across, but I doubt there are "many" others.

However, I have come across literally dozens of other FE agent's business/business cards. I usually snap a pic of the agent's card and give the number a call. About half the numbers are no longer in service. Of those in service, none of the voicemails have identified the person as having anything to do with insurance. The few times the person I was calling answered, I would say I was referred to get me some life insurance, and every one of them has said they no longer do that and all but one hung up at that point (one offered me her cousin's phone number because she was now "doing insurance)."

So, builders and recruiters, here is my question: What, in your experience, is the life expectancy of an FE Agent career? That is, how long from first day in the field to out of the business and vectored does the average recruit last?

Here is a question especially for those who recruit or have recruited downline agents to specifically sell final expense insurance.

This is month number nine for me. I'm not going anywhere (though I would like to "dabble" in trying my hand hand at specifically building a book of term business with a clientele that is perhaps a bit more like me than my FE clientele is). I am asking this question because in the almost nine months that I have been doing this, I have come across only 3 agents in my area who have been focusing on FE for years. Two are guys about my age who have been in the insurance business for 20+ years, with the last 10 or so focused primarily on final expense. The third is an agent who seems to write nothing but a GI product. He goes door to door with his tablet computer and writes a GI eApp anyone and everyone who wants insurance. I know there is a married couple who are captive Trans agents as well. I would guess there must be others I haven't come across, but I doubt there are "many" others.

However, I have come across literally dozens of other FE agent's business/business cards. I usually snap a pic of the agent's card and give the number a call. About half the numbers are no longer in service. Of those in service, none of the voicemails have identified the person as having anything to do with insurance. The few times the person I was calling answered, I would say I was referred to get me some life insurance, and every one of them has said they no longer do that and all but one hung up at that point (one offered me her cousin's phone number because she was now "doing insurance)."

So, builders and recruiters, here is my question: What, in your experience, is the life expectancy of an FE Agent career? That is, how long from first day in the field to out of the business and vectored does the average recruit last?
The average for brand new agents in the life insurance business as a whole is about 2 years.... Many will not last 2 months.. For those that make it past the 2 year mark, there is a decent chance they will still be around at the ten year mark but many will not make it. It is a psychologically wearing business.

That's so f*cking funny, I'll be laughing all night!!!:twitchy::laugh::twitchy:

I would say 1 out of 10 at the most in general are good enough to make it selling FE.

The problem is that even the 10% that are capable don't want to sit in cat piss couches every day for the rest of their careers.

So they either start selling another type of insurance or they start building a team. Either way, they usually get the heck out of the field as quick as they can!

Selling any type of insurance to people who are in POVERTY is not fun. My opinion is that the only people who win (Generally speaking) are the IMOs.

How many agents have I seen that "thought" they were good with people... only to watch them wither and die on the vine because of the treatment of the American public... if you aren't tough as nails... but warm enough to reach out in a genuine way... your better off clearing land minds then attempting this business...

The cat piss just makes it a bit more soggy... :laugh:

I would say 1 out of 10 at the most in general are good enough to make it selling FE.

The problem is that even the 10% that are capable don't want to sit in cat piss couches every day for the rest of their careers.

So they either start selling another type of insurance or they start building a team. Either way, they usually get the heck out of the field as quick as they can!

Selling any type of insurance to people who are in POVERTY is not fun. My opinion is that the only people who win (Generally speaking) are the IMOs.
You don't have to concentrate on those that are in abject poverty... And, if I start to pull up to a house and see all the signs that it is going to be downright nasty on the inside , I back out and go find another prospect.. The nice thing about being an independent agent is you can pick and choose you clientele..

Back