Career with Allstate, American Family, or State Farm?

itisdone

If you, an experienced agent, were to start over who would you go with between Allstate, AmFam or SF? and why?

I have over 10 yr exp in financial services, life, DI, LTC, and Annuties sales but no P&C exp. Thank you for your advice.

The Allstate business model makes more sense to me than SF, don't know much about American Family.

Based upon what I know about their current contracts and/or business models I would not consider SF or AS at all. AF may be o.k. or I would look at others such as Nationwide, Country Companies, Farm Bureau, Shelter, Erie, etc. if I need to be captive depending upon where I was at and who is active there. The best option is INDY ikf you are experienced and have the financial wherewithall.

Last edited:
None of them. You not only compete with those agents at every corner, although with other exclusive agents and IAs ( Independent Agents). You do not have freedom to choose companies, you lose clients when rates go up.

None of them. I have seen more new allstate agents closed their doors in a year or two. As exclusive agent, you not only compete with your own company, although compete with other exclusive and IAs.
When your company increase rates, you lose clients and they never come back.
As IA, I switch those clients to another companies in my agencies.

If I had to pick, I would opt for Allstate BUT, without any P&C experience you are going to be drowning in expected results from day one.

Don't let the title of "independent contractor" confuse you. The only thing IC about this is the fact that you have to pay for your own medical, retirement, pay SE taxes, pay for staff, rent, insurance, leads, phone, electric etc, and errors and ommissions insurance.

You WILL be expected to meet goals that will be put forth before you at the time you are installed. You will stay open the hours they dictate, you must turn your phones over to a 24hr Allstate controlled service department after hours (and get numerous calls and emails if you forget), get a series 6 & 63 license within 2 years or your gone, you can only write business not accepted by Allstate through one of their affiliated markets, etc etc etc., and the list continues.

Sounds controlling. Yep. But the money is great if you can find your niche in auto or property, depending on what state your in. With your experience and knowledge in life products, you should have no problem meeting your requirements annually.

You can make substantial bonus if you follow the grid they path out fo you...for most of us, our bonus has been our salvation over the years. You must keep your RFG to a certain level to accomplish this.

Be careful if you are considering to be a scratch agent...they drop like flies. My suggestion is you seek out an agent that is looking to sell (and many are), and make a deal with him. By opting to buy an agents book, you will know before hand where you will spend the rest of your Allstate career as they will not permit you to move further than a few blocks from where you start at any time.

Im not trying to scare you. Ive made a decent living with them for years and never had a problem. Just know that the Allstate today is more aggressive then the Allstate I knew years ago. Good luck and PM me if I can offer further advice!;)

Last edited:
Back