Careful buying telemarketed leads

jacobtn

Guru
1000 Post Club
Just wanted to caution anyone buying telemarketed leads from vendors anywhere, including on this site. I ordered a large number of leads from someone one here and when I scrubbed them using my SAN # to verify they were clean, upwards of 80% were on the DNC. Some had been registered since 2002.

When I confronted him with the damning evidence of what I had discovered, he claimed they were "opted in to contact" numbers, but couldn't provide any proof of this, claiming his data source would only do so if he was sued. He basically said all business has risk, and he was willing to take that risk (notice that the agents ordering them apparently get to take this risk as well without knowing what he is subjecting to).

I caution anyone ordering leads from anyone to do the following-

1. You can easily check a sampling of numbers to make sure you aren't calling unscrubbed numbers. YOU are responsible if you violate this, not the lead vendor. This particular individual even puts on his site that he is not liable for any suits that are filed as a result of calling the leads HE sells (that are on the DNC list).

You can quickly and for free check any number to see if its registered by going to the following- National Do Not Call Registry

2. Register a SAN # and scrub your data before using to ensure the leads are not on the DNC

If you check any numbers and find they are registered, demand a full replacement if the vendor cannot prove they opted in or provide the source of the "opt in". You will be on your own if this isn't provided and a complaint comes up.

Just wanted everyone to know this to protect themselves, their families financial future and their business.

Just wanted to caution anyone buying telemarketed leads from vendors anywhere, including on this site. I ordered a large number of leads from someone one here and when I scrubbed them using my SAN # to verify they were clean, upwards of 80% were on the DNC. Some had been registered since 2002.

When I confronted him with the damning evidence of what I had discovered, he claimed they were "opted in to contact" numbers, but couldn't provide any proof of this, claiming his data source would only do so if he was sued. He basically said all business has risk, and he was willing to take that risk (notice that the agents ordering them apparently get to take this risk as well without knowing what he is subjecting to).

I caution anyone ordering leads from anyone to do the following-

1. You can easily check a sampling of numbers to make sure you aren't calling unscrubbed numbers. YOU are responsible if you violate this, not the lead vendor. This particular individual even puts on his site that he is not liable for any suits that are filed as a result of calling the leads HE sells (that are on the DNC list).

You can quickly and for free check any number to see if its registered by going to the following- National Do Not Call Registry

2. Register a SAN # and scrub your data before using to ensure the leads are not on the DNC

If you check any numbers and find they are registered, demand a full replacement if the vendor cannot prove they opted in or provide the source of the "opt in". You will be on your own if this isn't provided and a complaint comes up.

Just wanted everyone to know this to protect themselves, their families financial future and their business.

If you bought them from someone on the forum, you need to tell us who it is so that other agents don't waste their money buying from this particular vendor.

If you bought them from someone on the forum, you need to tell us who it is so that other agents don't waste their money buying from this particular vendor.

And so that we don't assume it's vendor a, but really it's vendor b.

OK. I'm stupid. And I don't buy leads of any kind, but curious on this.

A telemarketer calls people about Medicare products.
A person answer and says "Yes, I would like to hear more" (or whatever). Telemarketer sells their name/phone number.
Agent calls person who has requested more information.

How is the violating the DNC? The person has ASKED for a call. The telemarketer violated the DNC. The agent didn't.

Or I'm stupid. One of those. ;)

OK. I'm stupid. And I don't buy leads of any kind, but curious on this.

A telemarketer calls people about Medicare products.
A person answer and says "Yes, I would like to hear more" (or whatever). Telemarketer sells their name/phone number.
Agent calls person who has requested more information.

How is the violating the DNC? The person has ASKED for a call. The telemarketer violated the DNC. The agent didn't.

Or I'm stupid. One of those. ;)

Yeah, but this was the list bought for the telemarketer, so the telemarketer has to obey the DNC. And violations flow downward to the buying agent.

While I applaud the vendor for being honest on the site, it is all on the agent to be in compliance, not the list vendor. For the list vendor to try and spin that everything is ok is just pure wrong.

Back