Careful buying telemarketed leads

I forwarded this to one list vendor when I saw it. The person was quite relieved it is not them and plans to respond to this thread at a later date.

So unless the original poster had the conversation with my assistant today while I was out (which I highly doubt), it was in fact NOT us, so that's good news :)

To add a few more points:

To be fully compliant, you should always do your OWN scrub when you get a list. The cheapest (freest?) way to do this is to download the software at Predictive Dialers System, Mortgage Automatic Dialer, Make My Calls, download the suppression list using your SAN at donotcall.gov (register as a telemarketer), and then scrub the lists when you get them and every 30 days after that.

With respect to opt-in, while sometimes data is opt-in, it's frequently not opt-in and unless you have some bonafide proof (like the IP address and a screenshot of the website they filled it out at), then odds are it's not really opt-in. If it is opt-in, it's also only good for a period of time which I believe is 90 days at the most.

Lastly, compliance is ultimately up to the marketer using the information. Most list companies (such as mine) will do a courtesy scrub, but that won't protect you in court. Odds of going to court over a DNC violation are pretty low, but as is often the case, better safe than sorry.

How is this violating the DNC? The person has ASKED for a call. The telemarketer violated the DNC. The agent didn't.

Since the prospect is on the DNC, the telemarketer should not have called. And, the agent has the responsibility to ask the telemarketer if this lead is on the DNC. And, the agent has the responsibility to verify this himself through the federal DNC.

Maybe I am missing something. If I buy leads and am given a recording where the lead agrees to an agent making contact why does it matter if they were on a DNC list or not. They should have not been called, but I have permission to contact them.

Last edited:
Maybe I am missing something. If I buy leads and am given a recording where the lead agrees to an agent making contact why does it matter if they were on a DMV list or not. They should have not been called, but I have permission to contact them.
But what about the thousands that do not want a call back and are not interested or someone that agrees to a callback just to find out who you are to put the screws to you

So unless the original poster had the conversation with my assistant today while I was out (which I highly doubt), it was in fact NOT us, so that's good news :)

To add a few more points:

To be fully compliant, you should always do your OWN scrub when you get a list. The cheapest (freest?) way to do this is to download the software at Predictive Dialers System, Mortgage Automatic Dialer, Make My Calls, download the suppression list using your SAN at donotcall.gov (register as a telemarketer), and then scrub the lists when you get them and every 30 days after that.

With respect to opt-in, while sometimes data is opt-in, it's frequently not opt-in and unless you have some bonafide proof (like the IP address and a screenshot of the website they filled it out at), then odds are it's not really opt-in. If it is opt-in, it's also only good for a period of time which I believe is 90 days at the most.

Lastly, compliance is ultimately up to the marketer using the information. Most list companies (such as mine) will do a courtesy scrub, but that won't protect you in court. Odds of going to court over a DNC violation are pretty low, but as is often the case, better safe than sorry.

Excellent reply Josh.

I know we plan to use your services. Very affordable . . .

Maybe I am missing something. If I buy leads and am given a recording where the lead agrees to an agent making contact why does it matter if they were on a DNC list or not. They should have not been called, but I have permission to contact them.

If you have the recording - that would be Consent To Contact - so, long as it isn't over 89 days old . . .

Back