Carrier Rep Questions

CarrierRep1023

I come from a personal lines claims background and have an opportunity to take a position as a carrier rep on the personal lines side. I am interested to hear from some of the indpendents out there - what are your feelings about working with the carrier reps? Like/dislikes? What do the good reps do that make you want to work with them? Thanks in advance!

I come from a personal lines claims background and have an opportunity to take a position as a carrier rep on the personal lines side. I am interested to hear from some of the indpendents out there - what are your feelings about working with the carrier reps? Like/dislikes? What do the good reps do that make you want to work with them? Thanks in advance!

http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/p-c-insurance-forum/carrier-reps-i-figured-out-t83994.html

Welcome to the Forum.:)

Ha - thanks. I actually read that thread before posting. I was hoping to get some responses from some more...reasonable? agents.

Having been both an IA and a carrier rep, I will give you my advice:

Make 100% sure you thoroughly understand the role and the key performance indicators that will be put on you. Agents are salespeople. They don't like to waste time. You'll need to add value to the agency somehow.

You'll need to know the products inside and out, down to the tiniest little coverage detail. You'll need to know the systems backwards and forwards. You'll need to know underwriting guidelines and processes. Those are things that add value by solving problems and writing more business. In that same vein - what training will you get before you hit the street?

I'd pass if it's a job where your 'sales' calls are soliciting new appointments and browsing quarterly numbers. You won't get by for very long if all you can is pass the buck, you know what I mean?

Also beware that if this position has been a revolving door in the territory, you're not likely to gain much traction until you can deliver something special.

Good Luck!

eta: it helps to know the carrier competition pretty well too:)

Last edited:
^Nothing more irritating than calling a rep with an underwriting or product question, only to find out later their answer was incorrect, or to get shoved off to the toll free service number. I called you because I didn't want to wait ten minutes to talk to some faceless person. Also, if you're fielding a call from a potential new appointment, PLEASE have some info on your target market. Don't tell me "we're good on everything", or "we want clean business" or "we are a true nonstandard carrier". I already probably know your market segment, I want to know what specific types of risks I can count on you being competitive on. If I wanted those generic answers, I'd have already filled out the appointment application.
Be able to tell me something about your product or your system/technology that I can't figure out on my own. Give me a reason to WANT to sell your product. Throw me a nugget that gives me a competitive edge over other carriers/agents. Offer incentives that aren't already in my contract (not just, hey sell 5k more a month in premium, and you qualify for an additional quarter percent contingency), and NOT just in the first 90 days of the appointment. Give me incentives down the road, too. Actually have marketing materials on hand, don't tell me you can order them for me. Bring me pens with built-in highlighters or something. Heck, bring me lunch or something. Treat me with the same attention to detail I do with my clients.

...is that a good start?

You only spend time with carrier reps when they re picking up the lunch tab. :yes:

Back