Carriers for mountain climber

pfg1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Can anyone recommend a carrier that plays well with mountain climbers? I have a younger prospect that would be top rated, but dabbles in mountain climbing locally a few times a year as a hobby. Most I'm looking at are coming back with a 2.5 flat extra which kills the pricing. Suggestions? Looking at $250k-$500k term policy. thx

Mountaineering is more deadly than scuba diving. Good luck with this one.

Maybe take a look at some of the non-med UW processes out there now and see what questions they ask. Perhaps there is a carrier out there who does not ask about it. I would imagine most that do ask will give a T2 at best.

Wait.. you said "locally"? Like in VA and surrounding states?

That is not the technical definition of mountaineering or "mountain climbing". That is basically just "hiking to the top of a mountain".

There are no peaks on the East Coast that truly count as "mountaineering".
There are places to rock climb, and there are places to hike. And you could certainly combine the two at times if you just wanted to. But that still does not mean it is "mountaineering".

Mountaineering means using ropes, crampons, ice axes, ladders and rope crossings over crevasses, & multiple camps to acclimate to the altitude. It involves both rock climbing AND ice climbing.

Unless your prospect is traveling to the west coast, specifically CO, WA, or AK; then he most likely is just hiking the top of mountain peaks. That is just hiking, not mountaineering. Maybe he is throwing in some rock climbing with it. But then you would check the box for rock climbing, not mountaineering. (big risk difference between the two)

Hiking to the top of a mountain, even without a trail, is not mountaineering. Neither is rock climbing. Not even if you combine the two in the same trip.

Actually SC, there are plenty of smaller YDS class mountains to climb in western VA & all over WV. He's actually climbing with ropes, etc. Yes...its not a giant mountains or snow/ice, but some of the cliffs are pretty tough to climb and falling 100ft wouldn't end well most likely. Seneca Rocks in WV is a big mountain climbing area, has some beautify scenery and pretty high cliffs, some are pretty challenging to climb.

Yes, I'd rather it be hiking or trails ...but he's actually climbing. Most companies have a specific questionnaire asking details of what they are doing, then they determine. Like it asks if rock only, ice/snow, where, how tough (YDS), how often, training, etc.

I wonder if any offer exclusion for mountaineering? The one's I've checked with do not.

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of carriers more lenient. Thx

Actually SC, there are plenty of smaller YDS class mountains to climb in western VA & all over WV. He's actually climbing with ropes, etc. Yes...its not a giant mountains or snow/ice, but some of the cliffs are pretty tough to climb and falling 100ft wouldn't end well most likely. Seneca Rocks in WV is a big mountain climbing area, has some beautify scenery and pretty high cliffs, some are pretty challenging to climb.

Yes, I'd rather it be hiking or trails ...but he's actually climbing. Most companies have a specific questionnaire asking details of what they are doing, then they determine. Like it asks if rock only, ice/snow, where, how tough (YDS), how often, training, etc.

I wonder if any offer exclusion for mountaineering? The one's I've checked with do not.

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of carriers more lenient. Thx

That is rock climbing, not Mountaineering. Lots of rock climbing to partake in on the east coast (I have 1k' rock faces 20 min from my house). But no real true mountaineering.

Your right that carriers usually have questionnaires. But they usually do not indicate what the outcome will be.

My point is that some UW guides differentiate between Rock Climbing and Mountaineering.
At one time, I know that NYL did. Im sure others might. Its been about 9 or 10 years since Ive dealt with a rock climber so I dont have specific carriers to suggest. But terminology can make a difference... just sayin.

Yeah I get what you mean, but I guess to them 100' or 1000' face are pretty risky too. The forms we filled out and submitted to UW (for risk assessment) all ask specific details as to what type of climbing they do. It doesn't designate it as rock or mountaineering specifically. I guess they look at all the info and decide on their end. Maybe some carriers do and look more favorably on "rock" climbing. That's what I'm hunting for. Thx

You stated that this is a hobby and not a profession. 4X per year. Sounds like you may need to find some different Underwriters

Prudential will consider preferred non tobacco if all climbs are less than 13,000 feet, he has at least 3 years of experience and a minimum of 6 climbs in his experience. If less than this they may still consider at non-smoker plus rates.

many carriers will give him even Preferred if his Rock Climbing level 1 through 4 on the Yosemite decimal system. Likely can even go through without exams if all other items fit the non med algorithm. Level 5 or higher, likely looking at rated case with most carriers

You stated that this is a hobby and not a profession. 4X per year. Sounds like you may need to find some different Underwriters
Yes, that is why I was looking and asking.
AIG, Ohio National, Penn Mutual all said flat extra - with detailed info on him, his experience, and his climbs.

Latest posts

Back