Carriers in Michigan that will insure Polaris RZR lecensed for road use?

BlockO

Guru
1000 Post Club
Recent changes to Michigan law have caused some carriers to stop insuring RZR's that are licensed for road use.

I'm hoping someone on here can name some carriers who still will insure them.

Will Progressive, SafeCo, or Auto-Owners not write it?

If you don't have any direct contracts to a carrier who will write the risk, reach out to 2 or 3 of your brokers. They may have a reasonably priced options.

You may want to check with Hagerty and some other companies that write antique, unique, and classic cars. Obviously this isn't an antique or classic car, but this is also an unusual vehicle, and they might have something for it.

Currently, I don't believe there are any carriers due to Michigan's unique no fault laws & it being the only state in the US with unlimited medical required that covers every person insured, riding, hit by vehicle & all other residents of the house riding in other vehicles not even insured by the carrier or walking/riding bike/riding school bus injured when a car is involved.

See if the MI basic placement pool will insure as insurer of last resort

Will Progressive, SafeCo, or Auto-Owners not write it?

If you don't have any direct contracts to a carrier who will write the risk, reach out to 2 or 3 of your brokers. They may have a reasonably priced options.

Progressive was writing them until recently... SafeCo and Auto Owners, I'm not sure... but both good ideas to look into.... thanks.

You may want to check with Hagerty and some other companies that write antique, unique, and classic cars. Obviously this isn't an antique or classic car, but this is also an unusual vehicle, and they might have something for it.

I tried Hagerty..... They won't insure them either.

Currently, I don't believe there are any carriers due to Michigan's unique no fault laws & it being the only state in the US with unlimited medical required that covers every person insured, riding, hit by vehicle & all other residents of the house riding in other vehicles not even insured by the carrier or walking/riding bike/riding school bus injured when a car is involved.

See if the MI basic placement pool will insure as insurer of last resort

I have written these policies in the past, just can't any more.... the reason given in an email sent to agents a few weeks ago mentioned the problem being with the VIN#... Once they register their RZR, they get state assigned Vin numbers, which makes it hard for insurance carriers to attach the MCAA fees to.... That's the reason that was given, anyways.

I have written these policies in the past, just can't any more.... the reason given in an email sent to agents a few weeks ago mentioned the problem being with the VIN#... Once they register their RZR, they get state assigned Vin numbers, which makes it hard for insurance carriers to attach the MCAA fees to.... That's the reason that was given, anyways.

Correct. I believe they need a state issue VIN to be able to be considered a motor vehicle able to be driven on the street. in the past, the carriers I believe that were insuring them were doing so without either being fully aware they were street legal or that they were basically a car on public streets. I believe some were not even charging the state mandatory MCCA fees of $220 per year that are added to all vehicles to cover medical injuries over $600k.

I feel terrible for all the people that paid a ton for these vehicles or paid several thousand to convert golf carts to be legal to drive, but cant find insurance to be street legal or protect them properly. people that can afford $10k-$20k without a loan on these are the same clients that can lose millions of assets or future income in a liability lawsuit if not insured or only able to buy low liability protection & no extension from umbrella policy

Last edited:
I feel terrible for all the people that paid a ton for these vehicles or paid several thousand to convert golf carts to be legal to drive

This applies to golf carts too? Bummer! I wasn't aware of that because the email never mentioned golf carts. It only mentioned UTV's/ATV's....

Another recent change that I just discovered last week has to do with classic/antique vehicles.... As you're probably aware, historical registered vehicles only have to pay 20% of the MCCA fee... For years, carriers would simply take their word for it, and adjust the quote accordingly.... Now, they require seeing a copy of the registration to prove it's registered as historical before they will adjust the quote.... Not a big deal. But it does delay the sales process for an agent, as you have to wait for the customer to send in a copy of their registration and have underwriting review it before you can sell the policy.

Last edited:
This applies to golf carts too? Bummer! I wasn't aware of that because the email never mentioned golf carts. It only mentioned UTV's/ATV's....

Another recent change that I just discovered last week has to do with classic/antique vehicles.... As you're probably aware, historical registered vehicles only have to pay 20% of the MCCA fee... For years, carriers would simply take their word for it, and adjust the quote accordingly.... Now, they require seeing a copy of the registration to prove it's registered as historical before they will adjust the quote.... Not a big deal. But it does delay the sales process for an agent, as you have to wait for the customer to send in a copy of their registration and have underwriting review it before you can sell the policy.

I believe it applies to any street legal modified atv,utv, golf cart, but it may not apply to the slow golf carts not subject to MI no fault. but I am not certain public street legal golf carts are part of it or not. Definitely something to confirm for sure.

Definitely knew that about historical vehicles. Always interesting dealing with Michigan auto

not a good process in Michigan in any regard

Always interesting dealing with Michigan auto not a good process in Michigan in any regard

Ha! Reminds me of a funny conversation I had with an underwriter once... I told her "Out of the six states I'm licensed in, no state has crazier laws than Michigan does." .... Her response: "You must not be licensed in New York then?" .

Back