CE Credits - Are they reciprocal in multiple states?

Tom Cooper

I am going through my AHIP certification for Medicare, and it counts towards my CE Credits for my resident license (as long as I pay the $33.00) My life license is active in eleven states. If I pay to have the credits assigned to my resident license, will they also satisfy the CE requirements on my non-resident licenses?

I have tried to contact my state insurance agency (Who transferred me to Pearson Vue who knew nothing). The provider of the AHIP course tells me I have to pay for every state for the credits to count ($33 x 11) and I can't reach most insurance offices due to the COVID faux pandemic.

I did finally have someone from my state office return an email and he said most states are reciprocal but some may not be and I have to contact each state. Which as I said is no easy task right now.

The problem is I am about to take my final exam and before I can, I have to tell them if I want to apply the credits and pay the bill for them. I would mush rather pay $33 rather than $360. Plus this only accounts for 6 credits and my state requires 18 + 3 in ethics. 11 states would come up to $1270.00. The cost of doing business I hear someone say, a racket as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, does anyone have a definitive answer? I want to take the test and I would like to know if I can just pay for the credits to apply to my resident license and if that will satisfy my our of state licenses.

Thanks

Tom

AHIP gives CE for a life license? I was thinking the CE requirements in all states were the same. In FL a new agent has to have 24 hours every 2 years.

Is this your first year (or two) being licensed in multiple states?

You only need to complete CE in your resident state (for your life/health license).

No idea how AHIP CE works but any other CE provider is going to require you to complete CE in your resident state and the non-res licenses will accept that you're in good standing with your state.

This may not be the case for LTC or annuity training. Some states are annoying about those but for the license itself, I'm licensed in almost every state and only have to take and pay for Nevada CE.

So after I typed all that: No, I don't have a definitive answer.

Thank You Tahoe Ray. I had an agency in the 80s and 90s and took a swerve into the construction business. Getting close to retirement and wanted to work from home and build some residuals. So I wasn't sure what the current rules were.

I thought that it should work that way, being reciprocal, but I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the reply. I will go with my state only and see how it goes.

This may not be the case for LTC or annuity training. Some states are annoying about those but for the license itself, I'm licensed in almost every state and only have to take and pay for Nevada CE.

I know California is "special" and they require their own annuity CE and LTC CE requirements for that state - regardless of resident or non-resident.

Other states might be similar, but I don't know.

Back