Celebrity Financial Advisors

Newby

Guru
5000 Post Club
Who do you guys like and/or dislike with the radio and television financial advisors? Why do like/dislike them. Do you give any of them actual credibility as top financial advisors?

Here's mine:

1. Brian Preston (the Money Guy) - 5-stars
Pros- Brian is the best of the best in my opinion. He talks about things that people with a little financial sense and willpower can do. Doesn't talk down to you like (cut up your credit cards, you're not smart enough to use them) and such things. I like that he is a fee only CFP and CPA and he isn't trying to sell products to his listeners.
Cons- Brian is still finding his format. He's only been at it (the radio podcast) for a year or so and isn't as smooth and polished as the older veterans.

2. Dave Ramsey- 4-stars
Pros-Dave specializes in broke people who have bad spending habits. I like his main focus (getting out of debt) and he has a very entertaining and professional delivery on the radio (he's kind of boring on TV though.) His message is very black and white which makes it easy to understand for clueless people but also not very flexible.
Cons- Dave is the slickest of all. If you notice when people call in who are succeeding but with a method different than what Dave recommends, he mutes them and then continues on with the call with him giving his advice and explaining how their method will never work in the long run and their silence (muted) makes it appear they agree with him. Dave has found a way to make money at every turn. Everything he says and does is an advertisement to sell you his books, seminars, website, bee-alive royal jelly, his Zander Insurance, his Endorsed local agents for 1. real estate 2. mutual funds and even nursing homes. He's an EXCELLENT businessman and salesman but most of what he says has that "taint" to it other than his basic message of - get out of debt. Dave will definitely end up the richest of all and to think he does it by "giving away" FREE advice on the radio. Brilliant!

Suzi Orman- 4-Stars
Pros- Most interesting to watch on TV. She is pretty good with a lot of her advice and her books are always very readable. A lot of people learn from her. She also allows some opposing opinions to be discussed which I like.
Cons- She's daffy. She gives some bad advice along with the good. She's more about the entertainment value that anything else (at least on TV.) Her segment called "can I afford it" is often laughable but interesting.

Bruce Williams- 3-stars (but dropping)
Pros-Bruce used to be my favorite radio show back in the day but he seems soooooo boooring now. I don't know what happened. He's more about common sense topics covering small business and home ownership as well as some financial things. He's just a smart guys who isn't impressed by credentials.
Cons- He has become very boring the last few years.

Clark Howard- 3.5 Stars
Pros-Clark is fun to listen to when he's on a good topic. He often gets on a boring topic and talks way too long though. But that's why I always listen on the i-pod (it's like TiVo for talk radio.) Clark is more about buying things cheap than financial advice. He seems more clueless about financial matters than the rest of the guys but makes up for it with his cheapness. Clark allows his staff to tell him he's completely wrong and you have to respect that. Can you imagine Dave Ramsey having counter-point discussions on his show? I would love to hear Dave and Clark debate debit cards. Dave loves them. Clark calls them "piece of crap fake Visa and Master Cards."
Cons- He's wrong a lot.

Those are my opinions anyway. I obviously enjoy talk radio a lot but I take it mainly as entertainment. With the exception of Brian Preston, I would say these are the Judge Judys of the financial world.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think of Bob Brinker? I've only heard snippets of his show as it is on late Sunday PM here, not a time I listen to the radio much unless in the car. I have a very astute investor friend who thinks he is the best.

Al

What do you guys think of Bob Brinker? I've only heard snippets of his show as it is on late Sunday PM here, not a time I listen to the radio much unless in the car. I have a very astute investor friend who thinks he is the best.

Al

I'll have to take your word for it. Looks like Bob charges for his pod casts. No free samples?

There are too many free ones to have to pay. Even Dave Ramsey gives away an hour a day.

One of the best ever was Louis Rukeyser as a columnist, and when he hosted WSW. Intelligent, witty, charming and gave very sound advice. His "elves" were right more than they were wrong.

Sorry. She is right on this one. The only guarantee with a VA is the death benefit if you die. The other guarantees you read about are if you annuitize and take an income stream, ect.

The far better alternative in most cases, is the FIA, which has a guaranteed death benefit, no market risk, and a locked in gain. There are lots of nuances I have skipped over, but IMO, Suze is right on about VA's, in most cases.

Anyone who has Larry Kudlow as a guest host is all right with me. And that is Bob Brinker. For the most part, Bob is right on.

Jason Lewis has been a fill-in this week - I happened on him Monday and he was talking economics! 100.3 KTLK-FM, 100.3 K-TALK Minneapolis/St. Paul

This guy is fantastic! Has anyone else heard him? I can't believe he makes an argument between Keynesian Economics and Milton Friedman interesting and enjoyable!

Already, he's identified the Next Bubble (it's scary!)

Sorry. She is right on this one. The only guarantee with a VA is the death benefit if you die. The other guarantees you read about are if you annuitize and take an income stream, ect.

The far better alternative in most cases, is the FIA, which has a guaranteed death benefit, no market risk, and a locked in gain. There are lots of nuances I have skipped over, but IMO, Suze is right on about VA's, in most cases.

You are totally incorrect! :no: Do a little research and you'll find that you DO NOT have to annuitize to get guarantees!!! There is soooooooo much misinformation getting spewed that Americans are getting hurt. Sad!:err:

Nevermind. I will explain to all the folks I meet with VA's that have lost their asses that if they look hard enough in the fine print they will find a guarantee. Perhaps there are some new ones that offer guarantees and if you could give examples instead of vague comments, we could learn from your wisdom.

Last edited:
You are totally incorrect! :no: Do a little research and you'll find that you DO NOT have to annuitize to get guarantees!!! There is soooooooo much misinformation getting spewed that Americans are getting hurt. Sad!:err:

Uh huh. The last time I heard this was from The Hartford. It was completely misleading. It didn't require LIFETIME annuitization, but annuitization nonetheless.

What product are you referring to?

Back