Cell phone carriers, who do you use?

senior-advisor-indiana

Guru
5000 Post Club
Indiana
My contract is coming up with centennial wireless. I love there plans but they have absolutley no choice of PDA phones. They basically only sell black berries. Love there free incoming though. I do not have a home phone, strictly cells. One for me and one for my wife.

Any suggestions on who I should look at for new service? AT&T looks good but I am afraid of running over the minutes. I only pay $130 a month at centennial.

I have AT&T. Received a solicitation in the mail (as if I weren't already their customer) about the new "unlimited" calling plan. Then, there was a clause about fees if I were to top 750 minutes of another plan? I really didn't understand it. I'm out of contract and would like to switch plans so although your (SAI) avatar is really frightening, advice from the group will be great!

Verizon. We pay about $110 per month for four phones (the two kids use a lot more minutes than us). There is a limit on the minutes but weekends and calls to other Verizon customers don't count, so we never go over the limit.

Kids are not happy because texts are not free and we make them pay if they text.

Last edited:
I have an Apple iPhone so I MUST use ATT unless I want to risk the wrath of Apple should I "jailbreak" the system.

I LOVE my iPhone. It really has made me more productive. I can view/change my online (SugarCRM) database anywhere I am (unlike with a stodgy old desktop system like YIO or ACT.) I also like the map feature when I'm driving and get lost. Not as good as an in-car GPS, but it is close (sort of.) And it seamlessly syncs to your computer (Mac or PC) via iTunes (which is free and you probably already have it!)

That said, ATT really sucks. "More bars in more places" my ass! It is over-priced for what you get (450 rollover mins for $60 a month) and the service is spotty at best. If you are downtown it's OK, but out in the burbs it can be problematic. Also, the EDGE network is slow for data. iPhone works great in a wi-fi spot. (I heard that Starbucks will be putting in free wi-fi and dumping the costly t-mobile?)

Al

We might go to verizon because everyone and there brother have it here. I haven't looked at T-mobile yet. I might have to break down and get a landline for telemarketing. :swoon:

Al, I couldn't care less about updating my CRM from my phone. I take my laptop to appointments with me and input the data as I am visiting with them. I definetly would not waste my money on the Iphone either. Why pay that much for a phone? I am just looking to combine my phone and PDA into one at minimal cost. Thanks for the input though.

I like Verizon and LOVE my Samsung i760 PDA phone. It allows me to take my stodgy desktop CRM (YIO) with me and don't have to worry about a slow internet connection.

Like other PDA's, it syncs with my Outlook so all my clients, appointments and phone numbers are with me. Since it's not a toy like the iPhone, the internet looks better when the site is configured to Windows Mobile. It's not for people who think the best use of a phone is to watch movies.

I travel throughout Southern California and into Vegas/Laughlin and rarely have a dropped call. AT&T was a horror in the past.

Rick

The T-Mobile I mentioned in a prior post is pretty good overall except for one area in the neraby suburbs where they have a "dead zone." T-Mobile has been attempting to get zoning to put up a cell tower that would correct the problem, but the neighbors keep saying "not in my backyard" every time they apply for a location. This has been going on for 2 or 3 years.

According to Consumers Report, Verizon has the best overall service and customer service.

Back