Celtic

Chkndinner14

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Michigan
I am a P & C guy trying to ramp up the health business. A few questions...

1. I have been reading the posts for a month now. No one ever mentions Celtic, is there a reason why?

2. If any of you do use Celtic, what is your experience with "Healthy Lifestyle Program", the $300 benefit per year, per member that an insured can get back for joining a health club, wt loss program, etc.

I have not done any business with them, but the rates look competitive in MI.

Thanks

They are a tertiary player in almost all of the geographical markets that they play in. They really don't have anything that would make you want to do business with them. In addition, they "rent" PPO networks, so they have less premium pricing flexibility. Compensation is also low.

In most markets there's really no reason to offer them. If you have a healthy client GR kills their rates and plans. If your client is unhealthy they don't have any special underwriting. Commission are 10% as-earned with a bonus structure you can only hit if you just wrote Celtic.

They also assign you a "district sales manager" which I never liked. You have to run all pre-screen past him which is a PITA.

It's one of those companies where I scratch my head wondering how they stay in business year after year.

Wouldn't know. When companies like GR, Assurant, World, Unicare, many BX's offer 20% and even Aetna offers 15% I see no reason to sell a single policy for 10%. I see even less reason when the product is lacking.

Wouldn't know. When companies like GR, Assurant, World, Unicare, many BX's offer 20% and even Aetna offers 15% I see no reason to sell a single policy for 10%. I see even less reason when the product is lacking.

Interesting - Aetna has implemented a new commission structure for CO starting in '08. Based upon your '07 production, the commission is as follows: 0 - 5 policies issued = 15%, 6 - 10 policies = 18%, 11+ policies = 20%. All policies had to stay in force a minimum of 60 days.

Once the commission % is assigned, it will not be changed back to anything lower regardless of future production. Good move Aetna!!

Aetna is coming alive on a multitude of levels. Good plans, most markets pricing is extremely competitive.

In CO run a quote for mother and 4 kids and see who has the best rate in the state - it will be Aetna. Single + Child(ren) rates are unbelievable - so much so that my client thought I was doing a bait and switch.

Now lets pray they don't get "rated" or the client will revert to the bait and switch theory... I think it was a clean app - but it was over $200 less than UHC and others per month.

Interesting - Aetna has implemented a new commission structure for CO starting in '08. Based upon your '07 production, the commission is as follows: 0 - 5 policies issued = 15%, 6 - 10 policies = 18%, 11+ policies = 20%. All policies had to stay in force a minimum of 60 days.

Once the commission % is assigned, it will not be changed back to anything lower regardless of future production. Good move Aetna!!

They doing this in CA too? If so, I don't think they can get away with it.... unless both Blues go along. Anyone heard about this being planned in CA?

Al

Back