Celtic

salpro22 said:
Have you been able to obtain a sample certiticate of coverage out there in California? Every company but Assurant has turned me down saying that I cannot obtain any specific documentation regarding a policy unless I get a copy from a client. Ridiculous if you ask me, but it appears to be the norm thus far.

I've not tried with Aetna but I did with Blue Cross and Blue Shield and was told that they are not available.

Two weeks ago I wrote a letter to the DOI in CA saying that they should make it mandatory for carriers to post PDFs of their policies on their website or file then with the DOI and the department should do it.

I got a form letter back saying "We'll look into it." Yeah, right. This week I'm going to contact my state legislator and propose that he put a bill in the hopper proposing the above. I'm not holding my breath.

Al

Interesting concept when the insurance companies don't want agents to read what they're selling. And you're not selling the brochure - trust me. Some of these policies have more holes than swiss cheese. Golden Rule for example pays the assistant surgeon 20% of what the surgeon gets. Does that pose any liability? Sure, or GR wouldn't have that language in their policy.

al3 said:
salpro22 said:
Have you been able to obtain a sample certiticate of coverage out there in California? Every company but Assurant has turned me down saying that I cannot obtain any specific documentation regarding a policy unless I get a copy from a client. Ridiculous if you ask me, but it appears to be the norm thus far.

I've not tried with Aetna but I did with Blue Cross and Blue Shield and was told that they are not available.

Two weeks ago I wrote a letter to the DOI in CA saying that they should make it mandatory for carriers to post PDFs of their policies on their website or file then with the DOI and the department should do it.

I got a form letter back saying "We'll look into it." Yeah, right. This week I'm going to contact my state legislator and propose that he put a bill in the hopper proposing the above. I'm not holding my breath.

Al

Good for you. Stir the pot a little. Although I can understand an insurance company wanting to protect itself, I also think it is BS that I, as an insurance agent, has to rely on brochures and the agent/underwriting guide to sell a policy. Can I do that? Yes. Would I prefer to know as much as possible about what I am selling? Yes. Will I have to sign up an individual on plans with other carriers and then ask if I can have a copy of their contract for my records, so I can read through the summary? Yes. It just amazes me that I have to go out of my way to get information.

Especially when we take on the liability to explain the coverage to the client and also take on the liability for knowing if any major loopholes or flaws exist in the policies we're selling. A lot of people hammer me for constantly touting Assurant yet they have their specimen policies posted in the agent site for all the read.

There was a company I was planning on selling about two years ago. Out of sheer determination I finally got ahold of their policy and didn't like like the language or added exclusions that were not stated in the brochure.

Right Start limits outpatient and inpatient procedures, RX, ambulance and therapy as well has having no benefit for mental/nervous and 50% coinsurance on name brand drugs

In GA Core Med has a $25 copay + 50% coinsurance on brand Rx.

Every company but Assurant has turned me down saying that I cannot obtain any specific documentation

Really?

So you have been able to get a copy of a specimen Right Start policy? That is the only one I cannot get.

Back