CFP, CLU, LUTC or ChFC Are They Worth Getting

CDNev

CFP, CLU, LUTC,ChFC. How much can they really help your career, and are they really worth having.

To me, they are just a way of MILKING our pockets for "American College" and KAPLAN... wanna get rich? start an education program that costs 2000.00 and give you a title...

But thats just my opinion.... Here is your real answer, ASK 100 people if they know what any of these titles are, what they mean, etc... 100% will have no clue... so that whould answer you question.

What Rebel said.

In a word, no, not worth the time and money assuming you have done the research on your own and are well acquainted with and knowledgeable about the products you are selling.

However, if it makes you feel "warm and fuzzy" and boosts your confidence with talking to prospects it may be worth it to you.

I would venture to say that the majority of insurance agents don't even know what all those letters stand for. Just like most people don't know the real meaning of BS, MS or PHD.

BS - BullShit;
MS - More of the Same;
PHD - Piled High and Dry. :D

All these designations are much like this old saying:

"They are like wetting your pants while wearing a dark blue suit... It gives you a warm feeling, and nobody seems to notice."

They will matter in some situations, not in others. What you should do is look at your natural market and decide if it's necessary to do business.

Decades ago I started working on my CHFC and just put it on the backburner after about 4 classes. The reasons?

My natural market did't care about the letters, they did business with me as a person.

It seemed every time I turned around, someone was laying some sort of restriction or penalizing me for having a CHFC because of what a couple people did with theirs. I hate being treated as a criminal because somebody else was.

At around $400 a class, I just wasn't seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It seemed like I would drop about 5k to get a designation that would be looked upon with suspision(sp) by reglatory agencies. Because the designations don't make an unethical agent ..ethical.

You have to decide if it's worth it for your business. For mine, it wasn't. However, that didn't mean I skipped out on education. It just meant I didn't tie my education with some letters for the outcome.

About 1 in 100 people ask me if I am a CFP which I am not. A lot of brokers have the designation and some of the things I have seen from them is criminal in my opinion.

CFP = Certified Failure Plan

Matt

I agree with what everyone has said here.

However I have started working on my CLU. It's just a personal thing with me. I want to learn everything I can about the entire insurance business. I have learned some things already. But of course you learn things every day whether it's through formal education or not.

I'm sure it will take me a while because I keep getting sidetracked with business and life in general.

My favorite quote is and always has been; Never confuse formal schoolin' with a good education.

Are you asking about return on investment (ROI) ie spend 4k, and get it back? Long term or short term? Is insurance a vocation or career?

I'm in the online CLU course @ American College. Lot of factors went into my decision.
-Respected designation, especially to other referring agents.
-It's the hardest courses, I like a challenge.
-I'll be an Agent for the rest of my life.

Note on the forum: If you call a client, and their phone message says "God bless the Pope" don't talk religon with them. If a person post's strong opinions about college degrees, consider not talking about it (until you have many post's)

I am working on my AAPA for annuities. Don't really care about the designation but do really enjoy learning a lot about annuities. The course provides a lot of good info that I have used immediately to help me sell.

Back