CFP's Chime in...

SmartMoney

Expert
Im finishing up some extensive ChFC coursework and think the next step is finishing the CFP. I understand I can sit for it after taking a review course. Does anyone know about how long the studying is and who the best is to take it through?

Thanks!

I took the CFP coursework through the College for Financial Planning in Denver. They also sell all kinds of review material and seminars and stuff to prepare for the exam.

By the way I read that the salary in 2005 for the President of the CFP Board was close to $570,000. My guess would be that it is over $600000 now. Did you know you have to pay the board about $400 to $500 a year just to be a member? Did you know you have to commit to ratting on anybody who is a CFP who you think did anything unethical? Did you know you have to commit to putting the customer's life and goodwill ahead of your own family's well-being? These people are truly on powertrips.

Back to the subject at hand-I have read and I agree that the College for Financial Planning's study materials are better than any of the rest. I've seen the rest and there is incorrect information in them, mispelliings, ommission of material, and other egregious stuff. The College's materials are to the point, and well-written and in logical order. I am pretty critical about just about everything so there you go. College for Financial Planning in Denver. Prices for their stuff is reasonable too, not ridiculous like some.

You need to do more studying if you think a CFP would contribute to an insurance board.

Saieddie, I really apologize if my post offended you and was a waste of your time. As you can see by my postcount Im new to the board, maybe you could've suggested where I could get a better response to my question. I think your response if anything didnt contribute very much...

Karen, thank you for your response, it was very helpful. Does anyone have any idea of the length of these review courses? I would assume it could be anywhere from 3 mo's to a year????

Im CFP

well, thats my initals... so with that being the case, i think i will slap cfp on my business cards... oh darn, im internet base sales... i dont have business cards

Years ago at annual sales mtgs, cards would get passed around, and some would be impressed at the initials (designations) after names on their cards. CFP, CLU, ChFC, etc... One of the guys would year after year have his name, then blank space... except one year he showed up and his card read: John Jones, FFC.

The room was abuzz cause that was new designation, and finally John had achieved an accretidation. Eventually someone asked John, what designation is the FFC...? He resonded, "Former Football Coach". It was pretty funny because you could see on the faces of some, before knowing what an FFC was, they were ready to apply as soon as they arrived back home, because they too wanted to be an FFC.

Just saying CFP's typically don't associate with insurance salespeople.

What percentage of CFP's would you guess hold an insurance license?

You seem to intimate that a CFP wouldn't be caught dead here, when in reality many are difficult or impossible to seperate frm insurance due to dual capacity. Most CFP's that I know holds a valid LA&H license, although some that I know have given up all licensing,ncluding securities license too, in favor of fee only planning. This works well when you have significant assets under mgmt, but many simply need the comm's from sales as a reality.

What percentage of CFP's would you guess hold an insurance license?

You seem to intimate that a CFP wouldn't be caught dead here, when in reality many are difficult or impossible to seperate frm insurance due to dual capacity. Most CFP's that I know holds a valid LA&H license, although some that I know have given up all licensing,ncluding securities license too, in favor of fee only planning. This works well when you have significant assets under mgmt, but many simply need the comm's from sales as a reality.

This is true of me personally, I cut my teeth on insurance products but found I was more passionate about financial planning applications. Its hard to get away from the insurance when that was your base, especially when you see the needs for it. As with any part of this industry you will never know it all, or can learn to much. I continue to go after the designations because what they teach me sets me apart from the pack of other agents, not because they look fancy next to my name...

Years ago at annual sales mtgs, cards would get passed around, and some would be impressed at the initials (designations) after names on their cards. CFP, CLU, ChFC, etc... One of the guys would year after year have his name, then blank space... except one year he showed up and his card read: John Jones, FFC.

The room was abuzz cause that was new designation, and finally John had achieved an accretidation. Eventually someone asked John, what designation is the FFC...? He resonded, "Former Football Coach". It was pretty funny because you could see on the faces of some, before knowing what an FFC was, they were ready to apply as soon as they arrived back home, because they too wanted to be an FFC.

yep, all those letters dont mean diddley squat when it comes to insurance... i think it's funny

Back