Chamber Of Commerce

NWInsurance

Expert
This is a dual use message. I have both a question and advice.

My office like many of you participates in my local Chamber Of Commerce. In the past this involvement has really been about networking with the other members of the chamber. I really did not realise the other oppurtunities.

I recently found out that the Chamber creates relocation packets. Anyone that is looking to move to our area can request one, and the Chamber will sent it to them. My chamber sends out about 1,000 per year, and the cost for the program is about 200 bucks.

If you currently do something like this, do you get good results?
I would think that P&C would get the best benifit.

Also if you do not do this, you may want to look into it. If you are P&C you could be putting yourself in front of families that are moving to your area that need Auto, Home etc. and they will have your info possibly before they even arrive.

NWInsurance

This is a dual use message. I have both a question and advice.

My office like many of you participates in my local Chamber Of Commerce. In the past this involvement has really been about networking with the other members of the chamber. I really did not realise the other oppurtunities.

I recently found out that the Chamber creates relocation packets. Anyone that is looking to move to our area can request one, and the Chamber will sent it to them. My chamber sends out about 1,000 per year, and the cost for the program is about 200 bucks.

If you currently do something like this, do you get good results?
I would think that P&C would get the best benifit.

Also if you do not do this, you may want to look into it. If you are P&C you could be putting yourself in front of families that are moving to your area that need Auto, Home etc. and they will have your info possibly before they even arrive.

NWInsurance

Ah, you found that out did you. Good for you man. I always head on over the Chamber of Commerce website anytime I'm contemplating working in a specific area, as well as potentially moving. I have not utilized that method per say, but what I have done with some success is request information from the chamber and after I get the packet and 4000 real estate letters in the mail I work the leads, while I do my research.

Personally, I'm not focused on local marketing right now, but when I do move next year you can be assured I will be utilizing the welcome packet as one numerous marketing channels.

As a caveat, some chambers offers leaderships courses and other events that would put you in front of people as an expert and give you a chance to improve your skills.

Also, most chambers have a website...make sure you get a link to your website. It's good for SEO and you might even get a hit.

Is "Welcome Wagon" still around? Youcould include advertising in their mailing.;)

Welcome Wagon is still around, but it is extremely expensive. It would cost about 2K to just "Try Them" as you have to sign a contract.

Thru the Chamber you hit less HH, but it is also a little less costly.

I have also heard that the Welcome Wagon does not get the best results.

I do not know if the relocation packet would do any better, but I am going to try it for 1 year and see.

NWInsurance

So Sam does read some of the posts!

JK. Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate this forum, and I am glad that
there are so many Agents involved.

NWInsurance

I think Al spoke to his Chamber a while back, maybe he can chime in on how he did it.

Our chamber is tiny... maybe about 300 members... on a good day.

Most chamber's are not focused on business... but on politics and community improvement. Most have a monthly lunch where they have a speaker... and ours traditionally has either a politician or some overpaid b.s. bureaucrat "who is there to help."

Most chambers also have sub-groups and these often have bi-weekly early morning coffee meetings that are more business-focused. Ours has one called the Business Development Group where new business owners come to learn some nuts-bolts stuff.

If you are going to pitch for the larger monthly lunch, you want to develop a topic that is topical... something that relates to everyone in the community. No one cares about insurance... but they do care about which national politician's health care plan is going to be "best" or "worst."

If you want to pitch for the morning sub-group meeting, you want a 'how-to' topic... mine is "How NOT to be screwed by the healthcare system."

Getting speaker dates is not that hard. Put together a short speaker's package with topics and bullet points of two or three presentations you can make, couple that with the sample press release you are going to send out (or which the group can send out to members) as well as a cover letter saying you are a great speaker, an expert in your field... and "If you ever need a last-minute, fill-in speaker," to give you a call. Once you get 'established' in your area you won't need to do that, but until you have a track-record... you do... and you WILL get called.

I've been called 30 minutes before 'air time' when the guest either got sick or forgot! So you have to have a solid 20-30 minutes of humor and content you can do at the drop of a hat. (I started my adult life as a school teacher of 35 8th graders in an 8 room school house in Diane, West Virginia. I can talk forever about anything!)

Once you get the date set just throw together a quick and dirty press piece and give it to your local weekly community papers (you can try your city regional but they probably won't publish it unless you are a celeb.) Here is the one that I put together in about ten minutes... it's terrible and I expected it would be edited.... but the local weekly printed it word for word.... hype and all!

One thing you should know. The old saw about how speaking is going to double the size of your book... is crap. Your phone is not going to ring off the hook with people dying to buy coverage from you. You need to get the membership list and call THEM... or put them on YOUR mailing list.

Speaking is just one part of a marketing campaign. Alone it won't do much for you... but along with other activities over time (I'd say at least two years) you WILL get 'known' and be considered an 'expert' ... or at least be the first one people think of when they think 'insurance.'

HTH.

Al

I would love to hear more about this presentation. Specifically what topics you cover.

I would love to hear more about this presentation. Specifically what topics you cover.

I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill you.

After being an apr̀es rubber-chicken speaker for 25 years I've learned that presentation is more important than content. It's not what you say but how you say it that will determine whether or not you get business from the engagement.

There is no substitute for practice. Join Toastmasters if you are new to speaking. Otherwise, practice, practice, practice. It is OK to be wrong... it is not OK to be boring.

What you want to strive for is a 45 minute lecture that has good content delivered in a manner and style that keeps their eyes open. JFK was the best I've ever seen. Bill Clinton is a close second.

Being a speaker is easy. Being a good one is very hard. Being a great one is almost impossible!

Al

Back