Changes to meidicare supplements for 2009?

jdeasy

Guru
5000 Post Club
Hanson, Ky
Changes to medicare supplements for 2009?

Hello all, new member here. I have been trying to get some info on the medicare supplement changes for 2009.

I have been given info all over the map. From med sups are ending in '09 and the only thing available will be the high deductable options to there will be no changes.

Also, if this were to happen, when would it happen? I've been told Dec. 31, 2008. I've been told that it will happen with the expiration of a persons current med sup at renewal.

I have asked 3 or 4 different companies and gotten 3 or 4 different answers.

I have talked to other agents, some tell me that it's a done deal that med sups as we know them today will not exist in 2009. Some tell me they haven't a clue as to what I'm asking about.

I've read these forums for a bit now and know that there are many knowledable folks here. Anyone care to educate this ole Ky boy?

Last edited:
Are you confusing Medicare Advantage with Medicare Supplements? The only changes I've even "smelled" with supps is that there has been talk about eliminating the coverage for in-home recovery as it's pretty much worthless.

Rick

Are you confusing Medicare Advantage with Medicare Supplements? The only changes I've even "smelled" with supps is that there has been talk about eliminating the coverage for in-home recovery as it's pretty much worthless.

Rick

No, I'm talking about medicare supplements. I had a fellow with Senior Solutions tells me yesterday that the only thing available in 2009 will be L, M, N, O plan with high deductables. He even said the deductable would be $1200.

I have been told this by others as well. I have also been told what you said. That's why I posed the question here.

This is the first I've heard of this, If I had to guess I would say its not true...

ANyways, Med Supps are regulated by the states, not the feds...

So that law would have to pass in EVERY state... Not gonna happen.

This is the first I've heard of this, If I had to guess I would say its not true...

So that law would have to pass in EVERY state... Not gonna happen.

That seems to be the consensus today with my asking around. Maybe that guy's company is only going offer the high deductables in '09?

I have tried an internet search on med sup changes for '09 and got nothing. I had been told of this by more than one person, though. Seemed like enough smoke to ask questions.

Senior Solutions is a captive company that does not sell supplements that I know of, as they are a Pyramid/Marquette MA & MAPD company. They would be a horrible source for info like this since they know nothing about sups and at best it is wishful thinking on their part. I can certainly see some of their agents I have met spreading this kind of rumor though ;)

I represent a lot of Sups and MA's and nothing even remotely like what you have been told is coming out of the conversations.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Med Supps are not regulated by the states. The premiums companies charge for those plans is set by the DOI in each state a company sells supplements in.

The benefits provided by each of the standardized plans is set by the fed. States have no power to change the coverage provided. Companies can choose which plans they are going to offer. However, I believe that each company must offer Plan A and there may be an additional one.

My bread and butter is the Med Supp market, I do not sell Advantage plans, PFFS. I can't believe that any of the rumors he is speaking of are true. I would have heard something by now.

Senior Solutions is a captive company that does not sell supplements that I know of, as they are a Pyramid/Marquette MA & MAPD company. They would be a horrible source for info like this since they know nothing about sups and at best it is wishful thinking on their part. I can certainly see some of their agents I have met spreading this kind of rumor though ;)

I represent a lot of Sups and MA's and nothing even remotely like what you have been told is coming out of the conversations.

Pyramid and Marquette both offer med sups. Yes, the guy is a captive. he is a regional manager with them. I used to MA for him. I don't anymore because I didn't want to be captive.

The discussion started because of the goings on in Congress about the PFFS. We were talking about what folks would do if/when the PFFS is not available. Of course, people would have to buy a med sup or do without. That's when he said that the traditional med sups would not be available next year.

I'm new to med sups just selling my first ones in the last couple of months. I don't have the vast knowledge or experience with them that many on this board have.

Since being told that by the Senior Solutions guy, I have had his story verified by a few and shot down by most. It's good news to me if he's wrong.

I just called the guy that gave me this info and asked again if he was sure about this. He said that "he was positive" that A thru J plans could not be sold in 2009 by any company.

He said something about the 70/30 rule that I don't quite get. He said he would get me some solid info about this. He did say that he "could" be wrong about this, but, he would bet money that he is not.

He is privy to information that is so closely held that nobody else knows it? I subscribe to many sources about Medicare and something as preposterous as this has never been written about.

I would take him up on a 70/30 bet for whatever he wants to bet. I will bet $70 to every $30 he puts up that he is wrong that A-J will not be sold in 2009. I suspect he has misinterpreted something he has read or been told, but news this big is not going to be exclusively in the hands of a low level manager at Senior Solutions.

Back