Changes to the forum

Sam

Founder
Administrator
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate some feedback on the following issues. Please respond.

1. Since I removed the scrolling "last 10" posts from the index page, the forum has been loading much faster for me. Has anyone had any problems with the board being slow since then, that cannot be attributed to your own bandwith speeds? Please include details.

2. Are the any requests for changes or additions, that you think will be beneficial to the forum?

3. I am considering adding an articles page to the forum, where members (Perhaps after a certain threshold of posts) can post articles on insurance topics. There is a modification that would also allow ratings and comments on the articles. This would serve several purposes.

First, it would be a nice way to aggregate information. I envision two sections, one for articles directed at consumers, and one for articles directed at agents and brokers. It would be a nice way to have a lot of the important information contained in the forum, boiled down into a condensed form.

The second, and perhaps more important point, will be to have some actual "published" writings that we can direct clients towards. Anyone who writes any articles, can post them under their real name, and have a short bio with a link to their website or email address, and phone number. I think that this is one way to increase credibility with our clients.

I know that I am always impressed when I see that someone I am dealing with has written articles on the subject we are discussing. This isn't exactly the Wall street Journal, but it can be done to look very professional, and you could send your prospects to see your prominence.

In addition, anyone with valuable knowledge, who has trouble spelling, or writing, can start a post asking for people to help them with the article.

I think it can be a way to convert the time we spend here, and what we add to this forum, into something with tangible benefits. For example, if you sell group health insurance in Wisconsin, you can write the guide to group health in WI, and send a link to whomever it may impress.

To make this happen, will be expensive and time consuming. I am only willing to give it a shot, if there is sufficient interest.

I have dsl and i have never had a problem with the site loading -- so i can't answer that question about slow loading - not a problem

as to the other -- i think it would be great to be able to read different articles partaining to insurance for consumers and agents -- I am always open to gaining more knowledge --- I love to learn something new everyday

one question i have is if i have a group of people that i wanted to keep updated on different news items pertaining to a company -- would i be able to post that here or should i just email them> -- and no its not Naa

mary

site modifications

The site has always loaded quickly for me, but I have a cable modem & have never had too many speed related problems to date.

The articles would defnitely interest me since I'm relatively new to the business & don't always have time to hunt for information. It would be great to see it in one place "for & by" professionals.

The board loads fine, but I seem to have to log in first time after a start-up (i.e. in the morning... I turn off the Mac Mini at night). That's a new 'feature' which I don't much care for but I can live with it. No big deal.

If the article board is going to be difficult and expensive, I'd say 'fergetaboutit.' There are tons of sites all over the web that has articles. The value of this board is WHAT IT IS... a venue for me to get opinions and help (and inspiration... yeah those 'keep at it, you will succeed' posts are good.)

If there were to be a new section I'd like to see one on Sales Philosophy or something like that, where people could post short inspirational stories or tips on how not to get 'down' or most importantly how not to waste time and get started. I tend to suffer from what John P. calls 'fake work' where setting up a spreadsheet is 'productive work' and we all know it's NOT... and need to be reminded that this biz is a huge proportion of prospecting and minor portions of salesmanship and product knowledge. (At least that's how I see it.)

This board is my most read web page(s). I would not be in business without this board. I'm not against an article section, but I don't think it is needed. YMMV.

Al
http://www.insurancesolutions123.com

• Staff
Al,
1. You are right, there are thousands of articles on the web about insurance, but that does NOT mean that we can't do a better job. Most of those articles are written by copywriters, and not by agents. In any case, you may have a point on the consumer side, but where can you find articles about Individual health insurance marketing in California? Or some other niche like that? I bet that would be helpful to you.

2. Regardless of the value that the actual articles provide, informationally, the added credibility comes from YOU being expert enough to be published on the topic. That doesn't go away even if there are billions of other sites with articles.

I too have never had too much of a problem with the website loading.

Although I think that your idea about the articles is a good one, if we as agents want to get more value out of the time that we spend on this site, then that would be an excellant tool to do so.

It would allow a prospective client to see what our values and thoughts are and more before they even meet us, it allows us to be truly transparent in a sense...

Another function would be that if we have material on this site it would bring quite a bit more traffic to here through the indexing of the articles....which is both a good and bad thing.

I'm in favor of it.....however I also am not the one that has to set it up so it's easy for me to say that.

Whatever you do, keep up the good work!

I also find the board loads very quickly, but then I'm on cable.

The idea of articles from agents is good. We can all share our successes and knowlege. In the last two months I've done very, very well so figure I'll have to create an article soon to share.

Thanks for having this board for us all.
Jennifer

I have never had a problem loading. I am on Cable also. I like the article idea. I have to say, this forum has been a God-send since I joined a week ago. I have been getting some great advice that I think will have a very positive effect on my career as an Agent.

Melmunch3 said:
Hi everyone,
3. I am considering adding an articles page to the forum, where members (Perhaps after a certain threshold of posts) can post articles on insurance topics. There is a modification that would also allow ratings and comments on the articles. This would serve several purposes.

I love this idea! Would it be like a blog format? How would it be set up? I think having a member blog would be kind of cool, I currently have a blog set up on my website, mainly for website rankings. Any link back to my site would be beneficial!

Thoughts?

Melmunch3 said:
Hi everyone,
I would really appreciate some feedback on the following issues. Please respond.

1. Since I removed the scrolling "last 10" posts from the index page, the forum has been loading much faster for me. Has anyone had any problems with the board being slow since then, that cannot be attributed to your own bandwith speeds? Please include details.

2. Are the any requests for changes or additions, that you think will be beneficial to the forum?

First, it would be a nice way to aggregate information. I envision two sections, one for articles directed at consumers, and one for articles directed at agents and brokers. It would be a nice way to have a lot of the important information contained in the forum, boiled down into a condensed form.

The second, and perhaps more important point, will be to have some actual "published" writings that we can direct clients towards. Anyone who writes any articles, can post them under their real name, and have a short bio with a link to their website or email address, and phone number. I think that this is one way to increase credibility with our clients.

I know that I am always impressed when I see that someone I am dealing with has written articles on the subject we are discussing. This isn't exactly the Wall street Journal, but it can be done to look very professional, and you could send your prospects to see your prominence.

In addition, anyone with valuable knowledge, who has trouble spelling, or writing, can start a post asking for people to help them with the article.

I think it can be a way to convert the time we spend here, and what we add to this forum, into something with tangible benefits. For example, if you sell group health insurance in Wisconsin, you can write the guide to group health in WI, and send a link to whomever it may impress.

To make this happen, will be expensive and time consuming. I am only willing to give it a shot, if there is sufficient interest.

1. I have DSL and speed is not an issue.
(a) A how-to guide about using the forum would be beneficial. For example, I do not know how to search "case specific" words, nor do I know how to incorporate quotes from different people, so I can respond correctly.
(b) A welcome forum would be nice to have for new members to introduce themselves to this board.
(c) A forum pertaining to books would be nice (sales, health/life insurance, etc.)
3. I LOVE this idea.

-J.R.

Back