Changing My Approach -- New Cold Calling Script for Your Review

g-squared

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just came out of an agency meeting where a successful agent from another agency gave a presentation on how he runs his business and writes life insurance regularly (we're a multi-lines shop, but with how crazy the P&C market is right now, I would rather concentrate on life and then cross-sell the auto and home when I can be competitive).

During the Q&A session, it came out that this agent writes a lot of business by reviewing existing coverage and adding to what people already have, or better yet, replacing what they have because what they have is not what they think they have -- e.g. examples of people having AD&D policies instead of life, having a 10-year term or increasing term when they though they had a level T65 or something like that.

Now, this guy says he works “mostly off of referrals and my existing book” (plus his father is also a 30-year agent with the same company with a large book of his own…so I’m sure he has had a few bones tossed his way).

However, the conversation did get me to thinking.....maybe when making cold calls to a targeted list of prospects, I should lead with an approach of looking for people who already have life insurance. I would love to get the forum’s feedback on this approach and the script below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, this is G-squared with the G2 Financial Group. I'm calling today because I'm looking for some people who already own life insurance as part of their financial plan. According to industry figures, there's about a 40% chance that you have life insurance that you personally own and pay for. Would you say that's true in your case?

Prospect: Yes, I have life insurance. [See below for what I will say if the client says “no”]

Terrific. If I might ask, when did you purchase that policy?

[Prospect answers...I would think most people would say more than a year ago]

Hmmm, I see. And so, since you bought that policy, have you had it reviewed by an insurance professional to compare it to what's now available based on where you are in your life today as opposed to where you were (when they purchased the policy)? e.g. “in 2004”

[I anticipate most would say no…but for the few who would say yes…] Have you reviewed your existing life insurance coverage in the past year?

[Prospect answers yes or no]

Steve, my business is to find and meet folks in our community, like yourself, who would want to make sure the math is right to make sure their loved ones would be okay financially if their income were suddenly gone due to unexpected disability or premature death.

And the only way I know how to do that is to contact people and see if I can help.

So, what I am offering is…

A 20-minute conversation with you about your plan, to determine if I would be able to help you solve any problems, such as having too much coverage, not enough coverage, or overpaying premium for the coverage you do have.

After we talk, if I feel that I can help, I’ll tell you so. If I don’t think I can help at this time, I’ll tell you that too. I value your time and my own.

If you’re open to meeting with me on this, would [TOMORROW] or [TWO DAYS FROM NOW] be better for you? Is [10 a.m.] or [3 p.m.] better for you.

Just to confirm, both you and your spouse will be present for this meeting, correct? I have you at… (Confirm address).

(If appt) Great! __________ I will see you on (DAY), (DATE) at (TIME). Should you have any questions in the meantime, may I email you my contact information? Great, may I have your e-mail address?

[No…I don’t own life insurance]

Hmmm. That’s very interesting. I’m going to ask you a very tough question. And that is, if you were suddenly gone and your family had to manage on their own, have you done the math to make sure your loved ones would be OK financially? How would they pay the bills, pay the mortgage, save for college, and put money away for retirement if your income were suddenly gone due to unexpected disability or premature death?

[Prospect answers]

We’ll let me tell you how I work. I work a little bit differently than other advisors when it comes to life insurance. First we need to do a needs analysis to determine the proper amount of coverage for your situation, so that in case something happens to you, we can make sure all the bills are paid, the mortgage is paid, and so we can put some money aside for education and retirement. Second, we’ll fill out an application for coverage to see if we can get you approved for the optimal amount, Finally, once you’re approved, I’ll come back with several options that all fit within your budget, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of each, and then you’ll decide which one makes the most sense for you.

If you’re open to meeting with me on this, would [TOMORROW] or [TWO DAYS FROM NOW] be better for you? Is [10 a.m.] or [3 p.m.] better for you.

Just to confirm, both you and your spouse will be present for this meeting, correct? I have you at… (Confirm address).

(If appt) Great! __________ I will see you on (DAY), (DATE) at (TIME). Should you have any questions in the meantime, may I email you my contact information? Great, may I have your e-mail address?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again, I would love to get your feedback on the above approach and script.

Doesn't seem bad to me. The initial 10 seconds is the most important part and at least it doesn't have any real turn-offs and the question may actually solicit an answer.

I'm sure there will be some critique coming from others. I usually do walk and talks and B2B leads, so I'm not exactly the best to gauge.

My personal opinion is I would leave out, "Hi, this is G-squared with the G2 Financial Group" and lead with, "Hi,( insert their name if you know it, if not just proceed) I'm calling today because I'm looking for (leave out some) people who already own life insurance as part of their financial plan.

People are going to assume you are selling something and most are far more interested in what you are telling than who you are at the beginning.
later if you are asked who you are, you can say, "
I'm G-squared with the G2 Financial Group, the premier financial planning group in this area," and pick up without a pause where you left off. (this is the advantage of a script.. keeps you on track)

If they haven't asked who you are and you have set teh appointment, you can say, "BTW,
"I'm G-squared with the G2 Financial Group and I will see you at (time) on (date).

This is my advice to you but you know what people say about free advice.. It is worth what you pay for it.

I definitely agree that it's almost always a mistake to introduce yourself before you introduce what you can do for them.

Have you tried this script yet? One of the nice things about cold calling is that you'll get instant feedback from prospects about how things are going.

Here's another thing I would consider: You're leading in by asking them a question they probably are going to be defensive about answering either because they think it's personal or because they don't care for being called and being asked questions. Cold calling is very different than calling through an existing book or referrals. A lot of P&C agents don't get that, but we're talking apples and kumquats here. When you're cold calling a good approach typically starts off with:

Hi, how are you doing today? (I'm glad to hear that/ sorry to hear that)(I'm doing well, thanks for asking), the reason why I'm calling is because...

In your script above you have started a conversation, but why do they want to talk to you? What you need to do on a cold call is frame your telemarketing around that. If you can't answer that in one sentence, you probably still need to work on your pitch until you can.

So to answer a question with a question, if you called me up and I answered, in one sentence how would you answer "why are you calling me?"

Good suggestions Rousemark and Josh. I will try leaving out my name and company at the beginning....a lot of times when I say I am with ________ Financial, people think I'm calling about their mortgage! So, leaving out the company name would avoid this issue.

I tried some calls with this script yesterday. Only talked to one person in 26 dials, but that person (once I got past the "mortgage" mistaken identity) DID listen and told me to call her husband Saturday.

I felt my confidence increased using this script, and I know that's part of the battle!

g-squared, this is an interesting angle and a good idea. It's tough to find ways to stick out from the crowd and think you accomplish it here.

My only input would be to always look to keep it as concise as possible, that's it. But you got some interest, and that's the whole point. Please keep us informed on your progress.

Good suggestions Rousemark and Josh. I will try leaving out my name and company at the beginning....a lot of times when I say I am with ________ Financial, people think I'm calling about their mortgage! So, leaving out the company name would avoid this issue.

I tried some calls with this script yesterday. Only talked to one person in 26 dials, but that person (once I got past the "mortgage" mistaken identity) DID listen and told me to call her husband Saturday.

I felt my confidence increased using this script, and I know that's part of the battle!

Let us know how it works. :yes:

I always introduce myself, not the company, using my first and last name at the beginning of the call. When I receive a call like that I want to know who is calling. If they don't introduce themselves it puts me "on guard" and my first response is who are you?

I want to hear a first and last name. If they want my time I want to know who they are. If I don't get a name or just a first name it throws up a red flag for me. I figure a professional will have no problem telling me who they are.

I always introduce myself, not the company, using my first and last name at the beginning of the call. When I receive a call like that I want to know who is calling. If they don't introduce themselves it puts me "on guard" and my first response is who are you?

I want to hear a first and last name. If they want my time I want to know who they are. If I don't get a name or just a first name it throws up a red flag for me. I figure a professional will have no problem telling me who they are.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Giving your name up front is the adult and professional thing to do, then get into it. If they ask who you're with, that could be GOOD thing. At least it's a question!

Back